Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error NBU Snapshot x VMWare

Daniel_Moraes
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,
I have a client with the following problem (image below), has anyone had this problem? Anyone have any idea what I can do to resolve?

Vesão NBU: 7.1.0.4

Erro VMWare x NBU.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VerJD
Level 4
Employee

@ Daniel Moraes,

If you've contacted VMware for this issue, please post any findings or updates for this issue.

On a related note, have you looked into this VMware KB (2008957), which has your same vSphere Client error?

The method is disabled by 'SYMC-INCR dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm'
Error Stack
Call "VirtualMachine.Relocate" for object "VM-NAME" on vCenter Server "vCenter-Name" failed
JD | Veritas NetBackup Support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Where do you see this error?

What was it doing when the error appeared?

What is reported for the client in vCenter?

It sounds like a snapshot has been orphaned and cannot be removed so preventing further backups - but need more information to pin this down so please tell us as much as you can about your setup and where this error appears

Daniel_Moraes
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Mark,
Hi!!!

The client is attempting to move a VM from one datastore to another in vCenter.
And then this message appears.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

In that case i would say it has a snapshot orphaned on it.

These can be tricky to get rid of and can also damage the machines!

Worth checking for the snapshot on your vmware backup host first (bpfis query) and try to delete it from there if there is one (bpfis -delete)

Alternatively they will need to do it in snapshot manager in vCenter

Once cleared they should be able to move it

Daniel_Moraes
Level 3
Partner Accredited

OK Mark...

I'll do some tests and post here ...

Daniel_Moraes
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Look Mark...

This is the test I did using bpfis query.
Analyzing believe no Snapshot ID ... Am I right?

D:\Program Files\NetBackup\bin>bpfis query
INF - BACKUP START 4228
INF - FIS IDs:
INF - EXIT STATUS 0: the requested operation was successfully completed

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

That means NetBackup is not aware of it - you will have to check it out in vCenter then

Dan_42
Level 4
Partner Accredited

VMware has a tendency to sometimes get confused about the status of snapshots on the system. Once you've attempted to clear the snapshots, browse the datastore and make sure there are no .vmdk files with -0001, -0002, etc. as part of the filename. If there are, the snapshots will need to be cleaned up more carefully, depending on the situation. A few articles that may help:  1007849  2003638 

Bear in mind that if you damage a snapshot chain, it may result in data loss. Also, it's possible that this snapshot has been around for a while, so more data than you might think could be lost due to mistakes. (I've seen systems that were running on snapshots for many months, over a year in a few situations) If in doubt, contact VMware support, and have a good backup when possible when fixing issues with snapshot chains. 

VerJD
Level 4
Employee

@ Daniel Moraes,

If you've contacted VMware for this issue, please post any findings or updates for this issue.

On a related note, have you looked into this VMware KB (2008957), which has your same vSphere Client error?

The method is disabled by 'SYMC-INCR dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm'
Error Stack
Call "VirtualMachine.Relocate" for object "VM-NAME" on vCenter Server "vCenter-Name" failed
JD | Veritas NetBackup Support