cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error bprd

riad
Level 3

Hello,

There is the error message that i have when i make a save.

"12/3/2013 2:45:54 PM - Error bprd(pid=8984) Unable to write progress log </usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/dbext/logs/18161.0.1386078294> on client DZORRPL22.intranet.hyproc. Policy=OR-ORL-ODI-BDD-FI-TD Sched=NONE 

12/3/2013 2:45:54 PM - Error bprd(pid=8984) CLIENT DZORRPL22.intranet.hyproc  POLICY OR-ORL-ODI-BDD-FI-TD  SCHED NONE  EXIT STATUS 48 (client hostname could not be found)"

By reading other case I found that I have to stop and start bprd is it necessary in my case and how to do it please 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't understand this..

What are you saving?

The errors you clipped in have to do with an attempt to backup a database of some sort - based on the name, I suspect an oracle policy:

"12/3/2013 2:45:54 PM - Error bprd(pid=8984) Unable to write progress log </usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/dbext/logs/18161.0.1386078294> on client DZORRPL22.intranet.hyproc. Policy=OR-ORL-ODI-BDD-FI-TD Sched=NONE 

12/3/2013 2:45:54 PM - Error bprd(pid=8984) CLIENT DZORRPL22.intranet.hyproc  POLICY OR-ORL-ODI-BDD-FI-TD  SCHED NONE  EXIT STATUS 48 (client hostname could not be found)"

The 'progress.log' is written on the client when the application backup is started.  In the case where we can write the progress log, and a status 48 is returned, that means we couldn't resolve the host name to in order to initiate the write.

As a test, add the client name and IP in the hosts file (make sure the client aslo has the master and media in it's host file), then see if this error goes away.

If my assumption is totally wrong here and you were attempting to save something in a policy update - well - that doesn't use bprd for java and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't for the Windows admin console either.  These would be either:  a) a bppl command run to create or update a policy, or b) a call through nbconsole - which I believe would either then go to admin log for execution and update of the database or possibly a direct call to bpdbm to make the change...

Hopefully something here is helpful.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to tel us what "make a save" means.

What type of backup?
OS on master server?
OS on client?

Is the a new backup that has never worked before?

Here is the real error: 

EXIT STATUS 48 (client hostname could not be found)

Can your master server ping the client hostname?

Is client DZORRPL22.intranet.hyproc on DNS or added to master and/or media server hosts file?

This is not directly related to bprd - it simply tells you that bprd on the master server is unable to update the progress log on the client because "client hostname could not be found".

You need to fix hostname lookup, then refresh NetBackup Host Cache on the master and/or media server:

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache
(Command is in ...\netbackup\bin)

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Verify that name resolution is valid (hostnames are case-sensitive depending on the OS used).

Try "pinging" the client from the server,Use the hostname for the client, as specified in the NetBackup Policy for the failing backup.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't understand this..

What are you saving?

The errors you clipped in have to do with an attempt to backup a database of some sort - based on the name, I suspect an oracle policy:

The 'progress.log' is written on the client when the application backup is started.  In the case where we can write the progress log, and a status 48 is returned, that means we couldn't resolve the host name to in order to initiate the write.

As a test, add the client name and IP in the hosts file (make sure the client aslo has the master and media in it's host file), then see if this error goes away.

If my assumption is totally wrong here and you were attempting to save something in a policy update - well - that doesn't use bprd for java and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't for the Windows admin console either.  These would be either:  a) a bppl command run to create or update a policy, or b) a call through nbconsole - which I believe would either then go to admin log for execution and update of the database or possibly a direct call to bpdbm to make the change...

Hopefully something here is helpful.