cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error bptm(pid=9008) The tape device at index -1

AtheeqK
Not applicable

Need solution for below issue

Error bptm(pid=9008) The tape device at index -1 has a maximum block size of 524288 bytes, a buffer size of 1048576 cannot be used
11/15/2014 9:49:19 AM - Warning bptm(pid=9008) media id M380L5 load operation reported an error     

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

confgure SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS with a value of 524288

SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS can be found in [install_path]/netbackup/db/config

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The media server has a setting for buffer size of 1048576.

This is in .../netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS

Either the tape drive itself, or more likely the HBA has a maximum limit of 524288, so to resolve this the maximum value you can have in SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS is 524288, so you need to change this file, no restart required.

The is no fix for this in NetBackup (well. apart from changing the file, you can't from Netbackup, make it work with 1048576 as it is a limitation of the hardware.

It might be that a firmware or driver update for the HBA resolves, you would need to contact the vendor to find out, but in some cases, especially if it is an older HBA, it would need to be replaced.

To be honest, most systems run fine with a value of 262144, or sometimes 524288, I don't know that I have ever seen a system using 1048576, or certainly if I have I've forgotten as it's not common.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

confgure SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS with a value of 524288

SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS can be found in [install_path]/netbackup/db/config

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The media server has a setting for buffer size of 1048576.

This is in .../netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS

Either the tape drive itself, or more likely the HBA has a maximum limit of 524288, so to resolve this the maximum value you can have in SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS is 524288, so you need to change this file, no restart required.

The is no fix for this in NetBackup (well. apart from changing the file, you can't from Netbackup, make it work with 1048576 as it is a limitation of the hardware.

It might be that a firmware or driver update for the HBA resolves, you would need to contact the vendor to find out, but in some cases, especially if it is an older HBA, it would need to be replaced.

To be honest, most systems run fine with a value of 262144, or sometimes 524288, I don't know that I have ever seen a system using 1048576, or certainly if I have I've forgotten as it's not common.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To determine max block size of tape/hba driver, open 2 cmd windows. 
In one window, use robtest to load a tape into a tape drive.
In 2nd window, use 'nt_ttu' command in ...veritas\volmgr\bin 
nt_ttu> 
nt_ttu> p 

The output produced will show you max block size.
Look for 'Maximum blocksize'.

Details about this command can be found in this O-L-D TN:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH22746

(Ignore references to /PAE switch in boot.ini )