cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 21-Socket open failed in NetBackup

Raz_Sam
Level 3

Hi All,

I was facing error code 21- Scoket open failed issue from long back.

While trouble shooting, I have restarted NetBackup Client Service. Still am facing same issue. Can any one suggest on this and provide solution for this to fix it.

NetBackup version: 6.5

Thanks in Advance,

Sam.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you confirmed that Windows firewall is disabled on the client?

If there is a company firewall, confirm that vnetd (port 13724) is open in both directions. Status 21 is normally client unable to connect back.

Please create bpcd log folder on the client under ...\veritas\netbackup\logs and run the following from cmd on master and/or media server:

bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -debug -verbose
(command is in ...\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

Post output of command as well as bpcd log on the client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I would first start with looking at the OS and any relates OS patches - cannot open socket is not likely to be a NetBackup issue. I would also upgrade, NBU 6.5 is out of support now for about a year. You should also post up the details from the activity monitor for this job that fails, along with details of how many different clients / backups have this issue, does it always fail, when did it start, what was changed etc ...

Raz_Sam
Level 3

Hi Mph999,

Thanks for quick reply. 4 clients have been configured for the same bakup. No other clients have this issue.

This client alone failing. Earlier it has no issues. Recently it is getting failed.

To inform you, NetBackup Client Service has been restarted.

Please advice on this.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I did ... Check OS patches / upgrade NBU and post up details such as activity monitor. Unfortunately, NBU is too complex to solve issues with just a status number - though in this case, status 21 is very often OS/ network related. If you Google 'status 21 netbackup' you should find some TNs with things to try.

Raz_Sam
Level 3

I tried all those.. I could't find appropriate solution. Thats y I have posted..

If any one have any solution with u.. plz post it..

Thanks,

Sam

Marianne
Level 6

Have you confirmed that Windows firewall is disabled on the client?

If there is a company firewall, confirm that vnetd (port 13724) is open in both directions. Status 21 is normally client unable to connect back.

Please create bpcd log folder on the client under ...\veritas\netbackup\logs and run the following from cmd on master and/or media server:

bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -debug -verbose
(command is in ...\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

Post output of command as well as bpcd log on the client.

Raz_Sam
Level 3

Thank you very much for your reply Marianne.

I have executed the above command "bptestbpcd -client <client-name>".

I got an output as "Socket open failed".

Thanks,

Sam

Marianne
Level 6
We are trying to help you. Did you ask about firewall ports as per my post above? Have you created bpcd log folder on the client? Was anything written to the log file? If so, please post the log file along with all of the output after you have run bptestbpcd with all of the options as per my post above.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, from the machine you ran bptestbpcd from, try this :

telnet <client name> 13724

I suspect this will fail, bbut lests just check, as it shows the issue is outside NBU

You should see something like this :

root@womble  $ telnet mhwin2008 13724
Trying 10.12.243.118...
Connected to mhwin2008.
Escape character is '^]'.

If this fails, you could perhaps involve your network department.