Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error during backups of VM

panthony
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

I have a problem during backups of VM. All my backups end with error 4239. More exactly, the description is "Unable to find the virtual machine", the snapshot fail and there is no backup.

I have two vSphere account with enough permissions, with one I have this error, and with the other one I have an error 6, the snapshot is OK but the backup fail.

I've configured vxms, and here is the log.

I don't understand why I have this error. I think I have the right permissions, and communications between ESX and Master/media are OK.

My Master server and Media server are 7.6.0.3, my vSphere is in 4.1 and my OS is Windows 2008R2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

panthony
Level 4
Partner

Hi

Finally the problem was resolved. It was caused by the version of my system. Indeed I have a french OS, and there is some problems with the non-UTF8 characters in the path. So i add in the VixDiskLib.ini file this line : 

tmpDirectory = <temp path>

and everything is ok now.

Here is the description of this problem : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178670

Thank you all for your help :)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

panthony
Level 4
Partner

The attachment fail. Here is the log.

Pangal
Level 5

Are u able to browse clients in the client tab

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As Pangal mentioned, when you browse, are you able to see your virtual machines to select? You might want to check the credentials you entered in NetBackup. Try to use those same cridentials to log in to vsphere. 

Its not often, but I have also seen policies become corupt. Try a test policy with just one VM and see if that works.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

As it is all the VMs it sound like a problem on the vcenter side, have seen similar when the single sign-on service  process on the vcenter server crashed during the night.

If you are using a query to find the VMs, there can be an error in it.

I use the advanced search in the VI Client, to see which VMs a query should find

Hope this helps

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

panthony
Level 4
Partner

Yes, I can see and browse my VM. I have a test policy with one VM, and there is the same problem.

I select my VM without query.

Pangal
Level 5

Just for confirmation , you are browsing and adding your client right ??  Not by copy paste right??

Pangal
Level 5

We always browse and add client , because we have seen  upper/lower case mismatch creates problems in vmware backup.Also after making changes to policy , policy validation runs that should be error free 

panthony
Level 4
Partner

Yes, I browse and select my client. It's not a copy.

panthony
Level 4
Partner

In order to verify the credentials, what are the minimums permissions you recommend ? Maybe I have miss something.

Moreover, is it possible that the snapshot is OK but the informations given are corrupted ?

NBU35
Level 6

TO verify credentials then to go to MEDIA & DEVICE MANAGEMENT > CREDENTIALS> VIRTUAL MACHINE SERVERS. in right pan double click the server and press ok, then see if it throws any error or not.

for permissions check below note:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech130493&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsymaccount-profile.symantec.com%2FSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D14077539914844w6w6Lw74khBJa7ozqy502Ub5W7MTqiP6tgj3

Pangal
Level 5

please post job details

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Pangal,

I am also facing Status Code 4239 in my environment and it seems to me Status code 4239 is intermittent issue.

If you can check telnet from VMware Backup Host(Media Server) to the VCenter server at port 443 TCP/IP port is working or not ?

We have also raised a case with Symantec Support for this issue, as per TSE if communication from telnet from VMware Backup Host(Media Server) to the VCenter server at port 443 TCP/IP port is not working then it should be checked from the VCenter end.

panthony
Level 4
Partner

I relaunched a job, I always have this error. The log in attachment

Pangal
Level 5
Could you please post bpbkar and vxms logs also generated during backup

panthony
Level 4
Partner

Hi

Finally the problem was resolved. It was caused by the version of my system. Indeed I have a french OS, and there is some problems with the non-UTF8 characters in the path. So i add in the VixDiskLib.ini file this line : 

tmpDirectory = <temp path>

and everything is ok now.

Here is the description of this problem : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178670

Thank you all for your help :)