Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error import tape LTO4 in LTO6 Drive

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

All,

I have a request from user to restore data from LTO4 tape cartridge that already expired and the only drive we have is LTO6. We all know LTO6 drive still can read LTO4 tape, but in import phase 2 none of them is success. I have serach thorough the forum, but only have for backup process not import process.

Best regards,

Iqbal 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Did you use bpimport from cmd to specify NDMP host to do the phase 1 import? You will have to expire previous phase 1 import by normal media server first.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Did you follow this tech note:

Step-by-step procedure on how to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Console GUI.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) Search the bptm log:

findstr /i "io_init buff err" mmddyy.log

2) Could it be that the LTO4 media were written with 256KB buffers, but that your system is using 64KB buffers - in which case you won't be able to read the media.  But I don't think that this is relevant because NetBackup is able to see/read enough to detect policy names.

3) Doesn't look like an encryption problem, because NetBackup is able to detect the policy name of images on the media.

4) Is your device a Quantum DXi?  Or, is your NetBackup version less than v7.5.0.4?  If so, maybe this is relevant:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189926

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I see a bunch of NDMP errors in the screen shots.

Is this NDMP tape import ?

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Yes nicolai, it is

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You need to access the NDMP "server" log to see what errors are logged. The messages in Netbnackup alone will not tell what wrong.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

hi sdo,

1. i will update you soon.

2. how i can see the buffers size configuration? the policy is in old netbackup environment, should i make it in the new one?

3. no encryption option enabled 

4. No, the old one is HP LTO4 + Netbackup 7.1 dan the new one is Quantum LTO6 + Netbackup 7.6

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Do we have to connected to NDMP server when in Import Phase 2, i thought it just read data in tape not restore it.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What NDMP method do you use, local, remote, 3way ?

Tape drives are connected direct to the NMDP filer - right ?

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

local NDMP

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Ok - I followed the link that I posted, and the Etrack number Etrack 2387423 lead me to this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH165850

...which looks like some of NetBackup v7.1 versions had problems writing NDMP data to tapes - so it could be that the original backup/save to LTO4 tape failed.

Are you importing media that was managed by a different/previous NetBackup domain (i.e. a different or older master) - if so, then do you have the old master and therefore it's old catalog to hand (maybe you virtualised the old master for reference purposes) - if so, does the old catalog still know about this old LTO4 media - if so, does it think that the images you are after are actually on the tape.   (Here's a tip - when decommissioning old NetBackup environments - *allways* take a full image list before finally powering it down - this way you have something that you can search or script a report from).  So, do you at least have a listing of images from the old environment that wrote the media that you are trying to import?  What I'm trying to do is see if you can somehow confirm that the old NDMP backup on the old LTO4 was absolutely and definitely successful?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Can you fetch the errors from the NDMP device - this will help us understand why its failing.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

hi sio,

Well this one maybe my mistake not backing up catalog for the last time. There is nothing to be found in old server, because the backup image is already expired. So, are you suggest me to do import tape in old environment? i think its unlikely (lto4 tape drive was broken).

I think the backup was fine when in old server, so i think it is not related to your link.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

nicolai,

which errors log that i should retrieve?

Marianne
Are you doing the import on the same NDMP server that originally wrote the backup? Or at least on the same type of NAS server?

Jean-Pierre_Bai
Level 4
Partner Accredited

As Marianne suggests NDMP protocol can behave differantly between Hardware suppliers. So restore to same type of hardware from which backup came.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

the NDMP device has a syslog - like windows event log where error messages are logged. You need to retrive that error log.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Hi,

I'm doing import on the different NDMP server but it still same Vendor. I still confuse, does tape import process need connection to NDMP Server? As i know tape import only involve tape media and Media server/EMM.

Marianne
Yes. If the backup was written by NDMP host, only this type of NDMP server can read the tapes. You cannot import or restore on normal NBU media server. So, the STU that you choose for imports of NDMP tapes must be NDMP STU.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Marianne,

Ok, i will it. I will update soon.