cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in disestor recovery prewizard.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

While trying the wizard for disastor recovery, I am getting the error as follows:-

"Cannot create or find the disastor recovery "
But I have installed the netbackup agent already intalled
Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Got the same as you Marianne! Is there a manual for it? Certainly never noticed it before.

Pause for reflection!!!
And now I've found out why!

Altho' I started with NB4.5 & subsequently 5.1, I've only really got my hands dirty with NB since 6.5. Have now just found the following in a T/N:

"...
Beginning in NetBackup 6.0, IDR was replaced by Bare Metal Restore (BMR).  While the IDR option may still be available within the policy, it is only meant to be used for legacy (5.x) clients.
..."

GENERAL ERROR: Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) must be disabled in policies backing up NetBackup 6.x clients.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303371.htm

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Is it actually part of NetBackup? Can only find posts related to BackupExec.

Is it still supported? Can only find posts etc from a fair few years ago.

Can you advise exactly what products (& versions) you have got on what operating systems & exactly what it is you are trying to achieve?

There was one post that seemed to match this but the T/N that it referenced has subsequently been moved/deleted:
"...
When attempting to select a remote server to run the Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) Preparation Wizard, the error "Cannot create or find a Disaster Recovery (".DR") information file for the selected system. Make sure that you have 'VERITAS Remote Agent for Windows Servers' installed and running on the selected computer" appears.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278884

..."

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Yes..It is a part of netbackup.
I am using the Netbackup 6.5 over windows server 2003 SP2 (std edition).
What I want to do is that I want to is create a disastor recovery cd/image.

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Interesting! I have never noticed it nor do I know anyone who is using it...

I just 'discovered' it on my laptop as part of client/admin console installation:

I get a different error when I click on it:

Looks like we have to do some reading manuals !

Found a section in Admin Guide II....

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Got the same as you Marianne! Is there a manual for it? Certainly never noticed it before.

Pause for reflection!!!
And now I've found out why!

Altho' I started with NB4.5 & subsequently 5.1, I've only really got my hands dirty with NB since 6.5. Have now just found the following in a T/N:

"...
Beginning in NetBackup 6.0, IDR was replaced by Bare Metal Restore (BMR).  While the IDR option may still be available within the policy, it is only meant to be used for legacy (5.x) clients.
..."

GENERAL ERROR: Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) must be disabled in policies backing up NetBackup 6.x clients.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303371.htm

Marianne
Found the same, Andy.
Extract from Chapter 5 of  NBU for Windows Admin Guide II

Changes for NetBackup 6.0 and later
Bare Metal Restore replaces Intelligent Disaster Recovery beginning with the NetBackup 6.0 release. To protect NetBackup 6.0 and later clients, use the Bare Metal Restore option for NetBackup.
You cannot use IDR to protect or recover NetBackup 6.0 or later client computers. However, you can use Intelligent Disaster Recovery on NetBackup
6.0 and later servers as follows:
■ To protect NetBackup 5.1 and 5.0 clients.
■ To generate bootable media for supported clients (master server only). If a backup policy is configured to collect IDR information:
■ Backup jobs for NetBackup clients earlier than 6.0 return a status of 0 (successful).
■ Backup jobs for NetBackup 6.0 or later clients return a status of 1 (partially successful). The NetBackup server tries to collect IDR information from those clients and is unable to do so. If no other problems exist, the client data is backed up.
If you use IDR with NetBackup 6.0 or later to protect NetBackup 5.1 or 5.0 clients, the NetBackup master server must be licensed for IDR.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Very seldom do I dip into Volume II. blush

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

it should work, but it must be a NetBackup 5.1 or 5.0 client & requires a license (the latter of which you may well have as you're getting a different error to Marianne and myself)

To protect NB6.0 & later clients in the same way you must utilise BMR.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Fine Andy ..what you said is true but the point is how can we protect the client having ver  5.0 or before.
Is that I need to have seperate Master server for 5.0 or I need to have client image for 5.0.
Please, advice.
Thanks.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Fin.e...............
I went through the VOL II.................where it says that we need a protected client for 5.0.
but they haven't mentioned how does the process shoild be.......
Please help...
Thanks.

Marianne
Possibly upgrade your 5.0 clients?
5.x is no longer supported: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/332616.htm

If your O/S is not supported on 6.x, it means that the O/S vendor has dropped support as well...

If you want to still persue the IDR route, you might be able to find detailed info in the 5.x Admin Guides (I don't have links to the 5.x online manuals anymore - see if you can find it here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/documentation.jsp?language=english&view=manuals&pid=15143 )

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

I got the the thing.. it a long way...
I will go on with BMR...........leaving IDR behind...............
IS it a godd idea..........what you say Marianne.....
Thanks a lot for the discussion..