cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error indentifyng standup oracle database

mauog_
Level 3

Hello,

we set an OIP policy to backup a database forcing to use the standup database by using the option "Data Guard backup option" set to "require standby".

Unfortunately the backup fails with the error:

Jul 6, 2022 2:52:39 PM - Warning nbcs (pid=58503) Unable to get database role from instance xxxxx on client yyyyy. Instance xxxxx cannot be used for backup.
Jul 6, 2022 2:52:39 PM - Error nbcs (pid=58503) No standby database was found.
Operation Status: 0

How netbackup determines what is the standup database and where is it located?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @mauog_ 

From the Veritas NetBackup™ for Oracle Administrator's Guide we can see this. Take a look and see if it applies to you. It explains each option regarding "standby databases"

Thiago_Ribeiro_0-1657119550356.png

mauog_
Level 3

I read it before but, as far as I can understand, the standby database exists and is available of course running on a different client.

So how netbackup knows where the standby database is located?

If I build up a new OIP policy using as target the client with the standby database I can perform a regular backup.

So what is the right configuration?

I have a Oracle rac installation with 2 nodes + 1 for standby database.

At the moment I registered the main DB instance on a node pointing there to execute the backup specifying to use the standby database instead of the primary assuming that Oralce can tell netbackup to redirect the backup to another client where the standby database is running.

If it is not so, how is the right way to perform this backup?

Thanks

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

reading the Admin Guide mentioned above, you must have BOTH primary and standby databases defined in the policy. NetBackup then just picks up the right one db when policy job is running.

There will be however a configuration problem caused by the fact that primary database is RAC and standby database is standalone instance. Then you cannot use one policy for both, because RAC based OIP introduced in NBU 8.3 does not support standalone instances.

So I think that the only was is to configured just simple OIP policy for standby database, not taking care of Data Guard drop down menu (leaving =None).

Regards

Michal