cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error on Master Server when Try to Configure Storage Devices

HEMANPR
Level 6

People I try to run the Configure Storage Devices Wizard on my master server But all time I get the following error:
"The hosts you selected do not agree on which host stores the EMM database.Selecting master server is recommended"

Then appear a option to type the master server and start the scanning for the all devices, this run perfect.
I have 3 media servers and 1 master server, Recently, I add a new media server. If I uncheck that media server on the device hosts screen, the scanning run perfect.
How can i fix this error?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

See this documetn for possible solution:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56484&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Solution:
NOTE: When adding hostnames, be careful of typos and conventions such as using fully qualified domain name (FQDN) and short hostname.

If the cause is because the new media server hostname is not on the EMM and master server's server list, add the hostname of the new media server into both the EMM server and master server's list.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

HEMANPR
Level 6

Any Idea of this?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Sounds like your new media server is not pointing to the correct EMM server

run this command to verify: nbemmcmd -getemmserver

HEMANPR
Level 6

Hello WRobbins

I run the nbemmccmd -getemmserver and appear this:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbemmcmd -getemmserver
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.5.5

Failed to initialize EMM connection.  Verify that network access to the EMM serv
er is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the

EMM server 195

I insert the name and ip on windows hosts file. I see the media server running on the services and I try to add to the EMM using nbeemmcmd -addhost and I see this message:

Host already exists in the EMM databas
Command did not complete successfully.

Any Suggestion? Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See if this TN helps:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66433

emm connection failure on new media server. The command "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" on a new UNIX based NetBackup 6.5 media server produces the error: "Failed to initialize EMM connection".

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

or the "dodgy" media server?

HEMANPR
Level 6

Im running on the media server

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Never actually done it personally (only ever had a second media server for a few months!) but there are two examples at the end of the nbemmcmd man page: one lists an environment with mis-matched EMM servers, the second corrects same....not sure, but it may assist?

HEMANPR
Level 6

Im following steb by steb this documentation but appear to be a problem on the media server. Cant connect to my master server.

On my master server, I can connect to the media server and see the media properties.

On the EMM hosts List,  I can see the name of this media server.

Marianne
Level 6

Please double-check hosts entries on the media server.

Best to have short name for master as well as FQDN as an alias for the master, e.g.

10.10.10.1   master  master.xxxxxx.yy

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

This is most certainly related to network communication. I had the exact same issue a few weeks back. It turned out to be that the server had more than one IP configured and the IP set in the required network interface in NetBackup was not the ip configured in DNS/Hosts files.

Have a look at that if you have more than one IP configured on either the master or media.

Riaan

HEMANPR
Level 6

Thanks Marriane and Riann

I set my Hosts file with the full name (media.domain.com) of my media server on my media and master servers.

I check the DNS and appear with the correct IP both servers (Media and Master) no dupplication entries.

The issue continue....

HEMANPR
Level 6

Another Idea?

StefanosM
Level 6

is the BPX service running on the media server?

open the bpcd and vnetd log and retry the command

check the above logs  and the emm log on the media server

HEMANPR
Level 6

Hello SMPT

I dont have any BPX service on any of my media servers or my Master server. Searching over the internet, This service Don't exist on Windows.

I see the bpcd log and appear to be fine, but the vnetd, have the IP of my master server trying to connect to the new media server but I see the IP of another Media server trying to connect to the new media server. Its this OK?

Any other suggestions?

Marianne
Level 6

Typo error PBX - not BPX.....

PBX is the 'Symantec Private Branch Exchange' service.

Have you verified that reverse lookup works from master to media and media to master?

Do 'nslookup <master-ip>' on the media server and 'nslookup <media-ip>' on the master.

Will_Restore
Level 6

See this documetn for possible solution:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56484&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Solution:
NOTE: When adding hostnames, be careful of typos and conventions such as using fully qualified domain name (FQDN) and short hostname.

If the cause is because the new media server hostname is not on the EMM and master server's server list, add the hostname of the new media server into both the EMM server and master server's list.

HEMANPR
Level 6

I don't have lucky with this.

I need to open a ticket with Symantec Support. I try all of yours recomendation but the issue continue.

Thanks EVERYBODY for try to help. If I get a good response from SYMANTEC, I will be posted here.

RiaanBadenhorst

Good luck, and please do post the answer :)