cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error to connect Netbackup 7.7.3 and Oracle RAC 12c

andrich2016
Level 4

Hello Everybody

When I start a oracle policy, my Oracle RAC 12C shows the error below on bphdb log.

ERR - Unable to connect to db12cprd.br1/DB12CPRD. Error Code = 12,504: ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA.

The step of "Register Instance" was fine, but the policy stops with error 6.

Any tip?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

andrich2016
Level 4

Hello Everybody

After a lot of configurations testes I finally found a solution for my Netbackup x Oracle RAC issue.

Some tips that I wish that help somebody:
1) Despite Netbakcup found my instance automatically or when perform Discover Instances, I´ve changed this instance name for the name that the instance is shown in one Oracle Rac Node:
Ex: On node 1, where I am going to point my backups, the instance name is DBTESTE1. On node 2, the instance name is DBTESTE2.
In case of down on node 1, I have to change manually to instance DBTESTE2.

2) The host was configured using the Oracle Rac Scan name. This name and IP address were configured at my DNS;

3) I checked the Override default TNS_ADMIN apth and filled it using my tns_admin path on Edit Instance Box;

4) The Register Instance box was filled using OS an Oracle Credentials as usual and Net Service Name was the same listed on tnsnames.ora, in this case DBTESTE.

Thanks everybody

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with @Nicolai .

Show the error to your dba to troubleshoot and fix.

I was doing some "Register Instance" tests with my DBA and some results was differents.

This is my first Oracle RAC Netbackup instalattion, and we fill on Net Service Name on "Register Instance" box differents entries, causing diferrent results:

When we fill with:

1) OracleRACScan/serviceName  - the registration is fine, but the error when start the policy persists.

2) Only ServiceName - validation failed for oracle username/password for the database.

The sys password on database is correct.

Any tip?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

as forum colleagues above suggested, have you consulted these results with your dba?

He needs to analyze Oracle debug logs for your connection attempts.

regards

Michal

Marianne

@andrich2016 

Please read the RAC chapter in NBU for Oracle manual carefully. 
There are a number of options for backup config, depending on the RAC config. 

Oracle Intelligent Policy support for RAC is very limited.

As per the manual:

The NetBackup for Oracle Template Wizard and Oracle Intelligent Policy both work
well for backing up Oracle database instances. They can be used to backup Oracle
RAC when only a single host name or client name is needed to affect the backup.

They cannot be used to backup Oracle RAC when more than one client name must
be used.
The following are the two situations when the Template Wizard or the OIP cannot
be used to backup Oracle RAC:
■ The channels are load balanced across the hosts in the cluster.
■ One client name is used to determine the host on which to execute RMAN, and
the channels are allocated using a different client name.

andrich2016
Level 4

Hello Everybody

After a lot of configurations testes I finally found a solution for my Netbackup x Oracle RAC issue.

Some tips that I wish that help somebody:
1) Despite Netbakcup found my instance automatically or when perform Discover Instances, I´ve changed this instance name for the name that the instance is shown in one Oracle Rac Node:
Ex: On node 1, where I am going to point my backups, the instance name is DBTESTE1. On node 2, the instance name is DBTESTE2.
In case of down on node 1, I have to change manually to instance DBTESTE2.

2) The host was configured using the Oracle Rac Scan name. This name and IP address were configured at my DNS;

3) I checked the Override default TNS_ADMIN apth and filled it using my tns_admin path on Edit Instance Box;

4) The Register Instance box was filled using OS an Oracle Credentials as usual and Net Service Name was the same listed on tnsnames.ora, in this case DBTESTE.

Thanks everybody