cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error updating policies using nbpemreq.exe -updatepolicies..Corba Exception

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Hi All,

We have a Netbackup 6.0 server installed on Windows server 2003, This server acts as both master and media server

We use this server to take normal data and system backup on MSA storage and duplicate it on TApe

To achieve the above task we have created different Policies, and this policies is scheduled to run on daily, weekly and monthy basis  

Till Yesterday morning everything was working fine but suddenly the all the policy stopped working.

Actually we have change the ipaddress of the server, we have amended one policy by adding one more client in that policy.

Now when I try to run the command  nbpemreq.exe -updatepolicies, I receive following error Corba Exception:OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.

Now the polcies are not running and I am not able to perform any backup.

I tried to search if I can find something in the logs, but I didnot found any logs in nbpem folder in the logs folder of veritas netbackup,

Please Help

Regards

Soumen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

pempersist .. now that takes me back ... but also reminds me about the ior files which could also cause issues.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000030769

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000089904

... and lack of disk space on the NetBackup installation drive...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

NetBackup 6.0 has been out of support for over 4 years, why haven't you upgraded to a supported version?

you mentioned " Actually we have change the ipaddress of the server " - Master server? If so, have you rebooted the server?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you have changed the IP address of the master then you need to clear the host cache (bpclntcmd -clear_hosts_cache) ... but i dont thing there is a command to do that in V6.0 so a service restart may do it ... otheriwse it will not work for a few hours

I would do a full bpdown .. ensuring nothing has been left running and keep running it / kill off left over processes if needs be ... then a bpup and everything should be OK again

And yes... get upgraded if possible only 7.x is supported now

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Hey revaroo I have already rebooted the server, but I am still getting the same error when I try to update the policy with the below command

nbpemreq.exe -updatepolicies

Corba Exception:OBJECT_NOT_EXIST

We are already in process of upgradation,

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Hey Mark I have rebooted the server, and the host cache is also cleared the client can communicate with the server with new ipaddress,

but I am still getting the same error when I try to update the policy with the below command

nbpemreq.exe -updatepolicies

Corba Exception:OBJECT_NOT_EXIST

We are already in process of upgradation,

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

"the client can communicate with the server with new ipaddress"

What does this mean .. are you trying to run the command from somewhere else other than the master server?

Run it in the master using an administrative command prompt

Also ensure scheduling is enabled (though it should be if you have rebooted)

ashokvaleti
Level 4

Check both these links..might be helpful.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH150304

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH208869

vivek_sharma
Level 3

the client can communicate means I can restore the data..

I have run the command in the master server using admin command prompt..

But what is this error Corba Exception, why it is coming when I try to update the policy

Why NBPEM not able to excecute any policy

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Are you opening the command prompt as administrator, right click Run as administrator

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Yes i have opened the cmd from administrator account

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Anybody please help on  my above issue...

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Netbackup 6.0 was the WORST EVER version.

nbpem (that replaced bpsched in prior NBU versions) was extremely problematic and full of bugs.

There used to be LOTS and LOTS of patches and hotfixes for nbpem.
Any reason why your NBU version was never patched while NBU 6 was still supported?

6.x patches were removed when NBU 6.x ran out of support.
This means that there is nothing anybody can do to help you.
You should have upgraded 4 years ago.

Sorry if we sound unsympathetic, but there were many, many notifications from Veritas/Symantec as well as this forum to warn users about the support that is about to end.

You may want to search this forum for 'pempersist'.
This file used to cause problems that prevented scheduled backups to run.
If you can locate this file, remove it, restart NBU and see what happens....

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

pempersist .. now that takes me back ... but also reminds me about the ior files which could also cause issues.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000030769

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000089904

... and lack of disk space on the NetBackup installation drive...

vivek_sharma
Level 3

No it didnot help

Still scheduled backup is not running and I cannot intiate manual backup too

When I try to run the command  nbpemreq.exe -updatepolicies, I receive following error Corba Exception:OBJECT_NOT_EXIST

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
There is honestly nothing that anyone can do to help you. It seems your NBU 6.0 master server is doomed. Set up a new server with supported NBU version and start importing longterm retention tapes. Provide new tapes for backups to prevent old tapes with valid images from being overwritten.

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Hey thanks Mark you are my saviour,  by remaining the ior file and rebooting the NBU resolved my problem,

Now there is error while updating the policy.

vivek_sharma
Level 3

Hey Marianne thanks for your help......Mark solution of renaming the ior file resolved the issue