cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while creating SRT on Red hat linux 6.5b server

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

Hi,

I am creating SRT on my server whose OS is 3BL652240055_004_RHEL65b.iso.

I used the same iso mounted on /media/isodvd and created the SRT but ran into error:

The media repository is incomplete.
Could not load the following package(s) from distribution media:
    e2fsprogs-libs (e2fsprogs-libs-*.i686.rpm)
    libacl (libacl-*.i686.rpm)
    libattr (libattr-*.i686.rpm)
    libblkid (libblkid-*.i686.rpm)
    libselinux (libselinux-*.i686.rpm)
    libsepol (libsepol-*.i686.rpm)
    libtermcap (compat-libtermcap-2*.i686.rpm)
    libtermcap64 (compat-libtermcap-2*.x86_64.rpm)
    libuuid (libuuid-2*.i686.rpm)
    nspr (nspr-*.i686.rpm)
    pcre (pcre-7*.i686.rpm)
    readline (readline-*.i686.rpm)
V-125-39 caught exception: runtime error in srtPlat.cpp:PackageInfo::verifyRepository()

I deleted the problematic package component names from createsrt.conf file and create the SRT again, but ran into another error liste below.

Can anyone let me know how to do? Thanks in advance.

[root@ming bin]# ./bmrsrtadm

Select one of the following options:

1.  Create a new Shared Resource Tree.
    2.  Create a new CD image based Shared Resource Tree.
    3.  Copy an existing Shared Resource Tree to a new location.
    4.  Import a Shared Resource Tree.
    5.  Modify an existing Shared Resource Tree.
    6.  Delete an existing Shared Resource Tree.
    7.  List Shared Resource Trees available on this server.
    8.  Quit.

Enter your selection (1-8) [1] : 1
Enter the name of the SRT to create : srt1
Enter the description of the new SRT : srt1

The following media is required:

Enter the path of first CD/DVD of desired RedHat/Oracle Enterprise Linux Server operating system level . The supported versions are (5 , 6)

Please load the media now.

Load media from (? for help) [/dev/cdrom] : /media/isodvd
Enter the desired architecture (i686 or x86_64) [x86_64] : x86_64
Enter the directory in which to place the new SRT [/export/srt] : /var/images/srt
Creating repository to stow files from distribution media.
Extracting files .............................................................................................. ok.

The following media is required:

Symantec BMR Third-Party Products CD (3PPCD)

Please load the media now.

Load media from (? for help) [/dev/cdrom] : /var/images/NetBackup
Incorrect volume has been loaded, please try again.
Load media from (? for help) [/var/images/NetBackup] : /var/images/NetBackup/bmr-3ppcd-1.0_275782.iso
Mounting media ... ok.
Working ... ok.

Unmounting media ... ok.
The media repository is now complete.
Working ...................V-125-19 RPM file "/usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/server/data/media/x86_64-RHEL-618435/e2fsprogs-libs.rpm" does not exist
V-125-39 caught exception: runtime error in srtPlat.cpp:ExtractRpmFiles()
[Error] V-125-105 Cannot install operating system onto this SRT.
Please see diagnostic log for additional information.
Removing SRT "srt1" from server -- please stand by ...
[root@ming bin]# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/server/data/media/x86_64-RHEL-618435/
-bash: cd: /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/server/data/media/x86_64-RHEL-618435/: No such file or directory
[root@ming bin]# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/server/data/media/
[root@ming media]# ls
3PPCD
[root@ming media]#

Thanks,

Lacey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

OK, as I read it, your clients are VM instances on a RHEL 6.5 system. Are you looking to do BMR actions on the individual  VM instances or on the RHEL 6.5 server hosting them?  Use this article to see the supported environments of virtual instances:

Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment (Virtualization Technologies)   
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

See page 7 for information regarding RHEV servers.

BMR supports recovery of the individual guest OS instances on a virtual server, not the recovery of the entire virtualization server itself. SRT requirements for the recovery is based on the OS of the guest OS, not the OS of the virtualization server system.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

Hi,

Can anyone help me resolve the issue?

Attachment is the createsrt.conf file.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

For this you have not noted what version of NetBackup is installed on the BMR Boot Server.  From page 41 under Note 2  of the OCSL document:

NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

"BMR Client/Boot Server support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 begins with NetBackup 7.5. Update 5 is supported and requires NetBackup 7.6.0.3 and later."

The error "V-125-39 caught exception: runtime error in srtPlat.cpp:PackageInfo::verifyRepository()" denotes a problem between the set of required RPM files in the "createsrt.conf" file and the media used to create the SRT.This set of required files is based on the version of the OS being installed and will differ between such releases.  By removing these file names from the createsrt.conf file you in turn are causing the second failure downstream.  The first file in the list that you deleted out of the createsrt.conf file was "e2fsprogs-libs (e2fsprogs-libs-*.i686.rpm)" which became the missing file n the next error you introduced:

"V-125-19 RPM file "/usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/server/data/media/x86_64-RHEL-618435/e2fsprogs-libs.rpm" does not exist"

The missing path you saw is because that is a BMR created temporary mount point used during the SRT creation process. When the "bmrsrtadm" process terminates, the mount point goes with it.

Unless directed to by an NBU/BMR support engineer or by published technical documentation, never modify the createsrt.conf file for SRT creation. Doing so invalidates any SRT used to create it, if ever one is created. Using such an SRT at BMR restore time is subject to restore time failures which can be difficult to diagnose as being caused by the modifications made to create it.

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

Sorry for not noting the version of NetBackup I installed on the BMR Boot Server.

The version of NetBackup is 7.6.1.0. The NetBackup master&media, BMR master and boot server are installed on a same physical machine whose OS is REHL65. NetBackup clients ( R7.6.1.0 ) are installed on another two REHL65 servers and there are four VMs on each server.

Can I only install one client on each server or should I installed one client on each VM in order to backup and restore the VMs?

While creating the SRT on BMR boot server, I ran into errors like "Could not load the following package(s) from distribution media" using the same OS image REHL65? How can I resolve this issue?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Not sure why you want BMR backup of VMs? Why not use VMware policy to backup entire VM at vmdk level? This backup gives you the ability to perform image-level as well as file level restore.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

OK, as I read it, your clients are VM instances on a RHEL 6.5 system. Are you looking to do BMR actions on the individual  VM instances or on the RHEL 6.5 server hosting them?  Use this article to see the supported environments of virtual instances:

Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment (Virtualization Technologies)   
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

See page 7 for information regarding RHEV servers.

BMR supports recovery of the individual guest OS instances on a virtual server, not the recovery of the entire virtualization server itself. SRT requirements for the recovery is based on the OS of the guest OS, not the OS of the virtualization server system.

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

The issue that I ran into while creating the SRT is still not resolved.

I want to know how can I create the SRT on boot server.

Thanks,

Lacey

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

Sorry.

Actually, I know little about linux and now I have to learn NetBackup in order to backup and restore my COM which is installed in three VMs on top of the REHL OS and PAS which is installed in one VMs.

So there are totally four VMs on my NetBackup client and I installed the NetBackup client software on the host.

Besides, I got a dedicated REHL server as NetBackup server.

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

I am using compact OS ISO image which is created by ALU  and it doesn’t have all supported packages hence I am getting the error.  

I used  real redhat ISO image for SRT creation successfully.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please clear the Solution for your own post and mark Jaime's post as Solution since he pointed you in the right direction.