cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while creating SRT

edla_shravya
Level 4

Hi All,

I am trying to create an SRT on solaris sparc boot server.

Master Server ==>X86 Blade
Client Server ==> (SPARC )
Boot Server ==>SPARC Admin

I have encountered below error during SRT creation.

ERROR:   Failed to install SYMCnbclt on atrcus735.
         Cannot complete the install.
         Aborting...

========== Unpacking package ==========
x SYMCnbclt.pkg, 504479232 bytes, 985311 tape blocks
x .pkg_defaults, 184 bytes, 1 tape blocks

== Checking for pre-existing package ==
package SYMCnbclt is not installed

========= Installing package ==========

Processing package instance <SYMCnbclt> from </tmp/nb_pkg/SYMCnbclt.pkg>

NetBackup Client(sparc) 7.6.0.4
## Executing checkinstall script.
Copyright 1993 - 2014 Symantec Corporation, All Rights Reserved.
pkgadd: ERROR: cannot find sadm directory

A failure was detected running /tmp/bmrsrtadm.7832.mnt/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris10/cp_to_client atrcxb3388-bup1 atrcus2193bu /tmp/install_trace.1820

File /tmp/install_trace.1820 contains a trace of this install.
That file can be deleted after you are sure the install was successful.
[Error] V-125-346 NBU Client install script did not run successfully
[Error] V-125-447 Unable to install Symantec NetBackup Client software into the SRT.

Can you please let me know what might be the reason?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am late to discussion, but I am curious about the client installation in the SRT - it seems to be a patch and not the base version?

Have you installed the base version 7.6.0.1 already?

Something else that is documented in the Installation Guide under 'General requirements' but not in BMR guide:

The gzip and the gunzip commands must be installed
on the local system. The directories where these
commands are installed must be part of the root user’s
PATH environment variable setting.

I have seen in a customer environment that gzip had to be added after OS install in SRT, before NBU client installation.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Have you checked the log file:   /tmp/install_trace.1820

edla_shravya
Level 4

Hi,

Even the log file is not being created

sdo

1) Exact OS versions, service pack levels, and bitness (32-bit / 64-bit)?

2) Please relate server names to the 'roles' - i.e. which server name is which role?

3) I'm not a Solaris admin - any idea what "sadm directory" is?  From: pkgadd: ERROR: cannot find sadm directory

4) Anything pertinent in system messages log?

sdo

I assume you are running 'bmrsrtadm', if so, does this show anything (adjust the date/time ranges):

vxlogview -p 51216 -o 125 -b "19/03/2015 19:00:00" -e "19/03/2015 19:05:00"

edla_shravya
Level 4

I have encountered below error

vxlogview -p 51216 -o 125 -b "20/03/2015 07:20:00" -e "20/03/2015 09:05:00"
bash: vxlogview: command not found

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Regarding the 'command not found'

The vast majorty of NetBackup binaries are located in the following directories, therfore by simple looking, you should find the command.  You could also search, using the search feature in windows, or the find command in Unix.

Unix/ Linux

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/support
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin

It is even easier, if you add these paths to the PATH variable of the operating system.  This allows you to run commands without having to type in the comlete path each time, or, cd to the directory.

Unix:

Add the directories to the PATH variable in the .profile file in the home directory of the user you log in as.

For example ;

PATH=$PATH:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin:/usr/openv
/netbackup/bin/goodies:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/support:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin:/u
sr/openv/java:/netbackup:/opt/sfw/bin:/netbackup/scripts:/opt/VRTSaz/bin/vxazd:/
opt/VRTSat/bin/:/opt/VRTSaz/bin/:/opt/vormetric/mseo/server/bin:/opt/vormetric/m
seo/agent/bin:/usr/openv/db/bin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am late to discussion, but I am curious about the client installation in the SRT - it seems to be a patch and not the base version?

Have you installed the base version 7.6.0.1 already?

Something else that is documented in the Installation Guide under 'General requirements' but not in BMR guide:

The gzip and the gunzip commands must be installed
on the local system. The directories where these
commands are installed must be part of the root user’s
PATH environment variable setting.

I have seen in a customer environment that gzip had to be added after OS install in SRT, before NBU client installation.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Based on the error you have encountered it appears to be making use of a NBU 7.6.0.4 patch file for the initial NBU cleint install. You must first install the NBU software at the GA level.

When installing software to a UNIX SRT, the order of software installation is as follows:

1. OS specific software files, using native install (not update) media.
2. NBU Client software at the GA level.
3. NBU Client software of the patch/maintenance level.

For Solaris SRT creation, the gzip package needs to be installed after the OS files are created. The SRT proces will identify if the software is missing and give an appropriate message.

OS software install media must be of the form that can be used to do an initial install of a server.
NBU Client software first installs GA level software, as the process makes use of the normal software install scripts. NBU Client updates make use of the native NBU update scripts.

All software installs occur on a "chroot" environment. The working root for this is $SRT_DIR/$SRT_NAME.
As an example if SRT are created in /BMR_SRT and the SRT name is "SOL10U10", the working root is /BMR_SRT/SOL10U10.
Look for any files created in the named file path but under the $SRT_DIR/$SRT_NAME mount point.
The install trace file will be in /BMR_SRT/SOL10U10/tmp/install_trace.####.
Under some failure conditions, the cleanup process will delete some of the files.