cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while running an RMAN restore

kproehl
Level 5

Hi Everyone,

Our DBA Team is trying to run an RMAN restore for an Oracle database and is getting an error saying it cant process the oracle controle file.

I ran the following command "bplist -t 4 -C griddb400 -l -R / | less" and I do see the contol file.

Had anyone seen this error before and have any sugustions?  Below is the RMAN command and error.

Thank You

We are running Appliance version 2.6.0.2

RMAN> run

{

allocate channel ch1 device type 'SBT_TAPE' parms 'ENV=(NB_ORA_SERV=nbumaster400, NB_ORA_CLIENT=golden400)';

SEND 'NB_ORA_SERV=nbumaster400, NB_ORA_CLIENT=golden400';

restore controlfile from 'c-601881118-20140912-01';

release channel ch1;

}

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 09/12/2014 14:23:25

ORA-19870: error while restoring backup piece c-601881118-20140912-01

ORA-19507: failed to retrieve sequential file, handle="c-601881118-20140912-01", parms=""

ORA-27029: skgfrtrv: sbtrestore returned error

ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:

Failed to process backup file <c-601881118-20140912-01>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Good catch Michael!

The restore will fail because the control file was backed up on client griddb400, but rman script is now requesting that same control file for client golden400. No such backup exist for this client name.

If this is a redirected restore, the steps in NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide  under the topic Redirecting a restore to a different client must be followed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

Did you resolve this issue?

Marianne

This line indicates that the failure happened on NBU side:

Error received from media manager layer 

So, as a start, we need to see the error in NBU Activity Monitor.
Please post all text in Details tab.

Please also give all relevant info:

Is this a restore to same or different client?
Was the restore started as the same user that did the backup? (Check user name in backup script)

Was logging enabled on the Oracle client?
Helpful log on client is dbclient.
(Remember that permissions need to be 777)

On master, bprd log will be needed.

PS:
I have moved this post to NetBackup forum as this issue is not directly related to Appliance.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In this case the bplist log on the client might be helpfull too

A question is the bplist command shows griddb400 and the rman script golden400 for the client name ?

with NB_ORA_CLIENT=griddb400 I think you should be able to restore the control file

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne

Good catch Michael!

The restore will fail because the control file was backed up on client griddb400, but rman script is now requesting that same control file for client golden400. No such backup exist for this client name.

If this is a redirected restore, the steps in NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide  under the topic Redirecting a restore to a different client must be followed.

kproehl
Level 5

Thanks for the replies.  I am checking on the client name and Michael mentioned and will then try and rerun the restore.  If it fails again I will post all the details from the job log.

Marianne

If this is a redirected restore, please confirm all requirements in the NBU for Oracle manual (link in my previous post).