cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors in Problem Report - DAG Backups

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi all,

I have a NetBackup 7.1.0.2 for Windows environment where we are backing up an MS Exchange 2010 DAG.  The backups are running without issue but there is a number of entries in the Problem Report ona  daily basis as below:

Thu Mar 15 20:10:30 GMT 2012    servername.domainname.co.uk    servername.domainname.co.uk    Error    0    requestor  servername.domainname.co.uk is not a valid server for query 238    
Thu Mar 15 20:10:30 GMT 2012    servername.domainname.co.uk    dagname.domainname.co.uk    Warning    90504    unable  to update backup history status for client dagname.domainname.co.uk, retval = 37    Backup
Thu Mar 15 20:10:14 GMT 2012    servername.domainname.co.uk    servername.domainname.co.uk    Error    0    requestor  servername.domainname.co.uk is not a valid server for query 238    
Thu Mar 15 20:10:14 GMT 2012    servername.domainname.co.uk    dagname.domainname.co.uk    Warning    90498    unable  to update backup history status for client dagname.domainname.co.uk, retval = 37    Backup
Thu Mar 15 20:09:02 GMT 2012    servername.domainname.co.uk    servername.domainname.co.uk    Error    0    requestor  servername.domainname.co.uk is not a valid server for query 238    
Thu Mar 15 20:09:02 GMT 2012    servername.domainname.co.uk    dagname.domainname.co.uk    Warning    90515    unable  to update backup history status for client dagname.domainname.co.uk, retval = 37    Backup
Thu Mar 15 20:08:39 GMT 2012    servername.domainname.co.uk    servername.domainname.co.uk    Error    0    requestor  servername.domainname.co.uk is not a valid server for query 238    

There is a large number of these items and whilst the backups are working I have concerns that something is being missed.

On the advice of Symantec support I have populated the Master Server Properties --> Distributed Application Restore Mapping with the mappings between the DAG Application Host, the Mailbox servers and the CAS servers but I am still getting these messages.

I believe that the Symantec best practice for backing up a DAG is to use the DAG shortname but I am targetting the FQDN for the backups, however the DARM map the shortname to the various component hosts.  Is this likely to cause the issue?

Many thanks, Mike

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You could add the shortnames and FQDN to the hosts files on the CAS Servers - it is these that do the bpresolver process to obtain all of the information.

You can also add the short and FQDN versions in the distributed application section on the Master server so that it is fully aware of all of them

The \netbackup\bin\bpresolver\ log file on the CAS Servers may give more information

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi,

Within the policy itself I only have the DAG as the Client but I hear that it may be beneficial to have the individual DAG nodes/CAS servers in a policy as well, what do you think?

I have added the FQDN to the DARM properties but the company are very anti-host files as they prefer to reply on forward/reverse DNS lookups.

As the NetBackup Client is not installed on the CAS servers they will not have a bpresolver log.  The CAS servers are entirely separate from the mailbox servers so we saw no need to install the Client.  Was this wrong?

Thanks, Mike

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You should have a NetBackup Client installed CAS Servers (unless they are hardware load balancers in which case you need to take a look at this tech note : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142262)

Hope this helps

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi,

They are not hardware load balancers but in the DAG policy we have only specified the DAG name to backup.  Should I be specifying the individual mailbox servers and CAS servers in the policy as well as backups of the CAS servers are not required by the company due to configuration replication?

Thanks, Mike

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

No - just the DAG

Add all components in the Master Server Host Properties - Distributed Application section so it looks like:

dag mbx1

dag mbx2

dag cas1

dag cas2

plus, if appropriate:

virtualcasname cas1

virtualcasname cas2

But you should have a client installed on the CAS servers or you will not be able to do restores correctly either

Hope this helps

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi,

I have now raised a case with support as this is still ongoing.  All the mailbox and CAS servers are in the distributed application properties and I was asked to populate the credentials access master server property with the same and still have the same issue.

I have also applied MP4 (7.1.0.4) without any change.

Does anyone have any other ideas of how to resolve this error?

Many thanks, Mike