Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors in storaged.log

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello,

I have a question regarding an error that was found in storaged.log :

failed to find container node ID for container 0

Do you have any idea what could cause this error? corrupted images? 

NB version 8.1.

The latest version of the bundle 3935219 is installed.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Hamza_H 

I've seen similar errors in a test environment I use - and in my case I found a number of orphaned images (probably due to syustem crashes and the like). Once I tidied up (removed) these images, the errors have not returned. 

There are two tools that I know of, one specifically to look for orphaned images (PoGather which is run on your master and media servers and then analysed by Veritas using Imgchk), the other is msdpcheck which does what it name implies. Both are only available from support. 

So yes - I ask Veritas to investigate - better to be safe than sorry. 

Interesting aside - I had one customer that was using a cloud catalyst and had almost filled their S3 store (so almost 1PB of cloud based images). This didn't make sense looking at their catalog and dedupe rates, and after running the PoGather, they were able to recover 100's of TB of cloud storage due to orphaned images. 

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pats_729
Level 6
Employee

@Hamza_H 

Usually in logs strings appears with "[ERR]" or "[INFO]" or "[WARN]". It depicts the severity of the message.

How is this line appearing for you in logs ?

Besides,  are you observing any failures or malfunctions ?

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello @pats_729

It appears as ERR :

August 05 12:30:56 ERR [140127557904128]: -1: failed to find container node ID for container 0

We are not observing any failures or malfunctions (yet)..

Thanks;

Hi @Hamza_H 

The fact that there are errors being reported is not good, but doesn't necessarily indicate corruption.

Check to see if there is anything in the following file <PATH_TO_MSDP>/databases/datacheck/AffectedBackup.lst

If there are entries it indicates a possible issue such as orphaned images etc. The recommendation then is to log a support case to get the required tools to analyse and fix any issue under guidance. 

Cheers
David

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello @davidmoline ,

Thank you for your reply,

Actually, this is what I am suspecting (corrupt/orphaned images) I just wanted to check if anyone had these messages before because we have had these errors a lot recently on different infrastructures. 

I asked the EC to check the AffectedBackup.lst file and apparently, it is not modified since 2020 but these files are newly modified : 

AffectedDO.lst.last

AffectedImage.lst

CRCFailed.lst

__po_cursor__

Any idea whether this needs Veritas' support to investigate corruption?

Thanks,

Hi @Hamza_H 

I've seen similar errors in a test environment I use - and in my case I found a number of orphaned images (probably due to syustem crashes and the like). Once I tidied up (removed) these images, the errors have not returned. 

There are two tools that I know of, one specifically to look for orphaned images (PoGather which is run on your master and media servers and then analysed by Veritas using Imgchk), the other is msdpcheck which does what it name implies. Both are only available from support. 

So yes - I ask Veritas to investigate - better to be safe than sorry. 

Interesting aside - I had one customer that was using a cloud catalyst and had almost filled their S3 store (so almost 1PB of cloud based images). This didn't make sense looking at their catalog and dedupe rates, and after running the PoGather, they were able to recover 100's of TB of cloud storage due to orphaned images. 

Cheers
David

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello @davidmoline ,

Thanks for your help,

Actually, I already have these tools and I do that regularly with Veritas support.

I was just wondering if these errors are related to corrupt or orphaned messages, and if by deleting these images we won't see these errors anymore, so I think you answered my question.

"I've seen similar errors in a test environment I use - and in my case I found a number of orphaned images (probably due to syustem crashes and the like). Once I tidied up (removed) these images, the errors have not returned. "

We couldn't run the tools now because msdpcheck will take time and the msdp won't be available that is why I wanted to check with you first if the msdpcheck would be a good way to start investigating these errors.

Thanks again for your help.