cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excahnge logs are not purging

Planters
Level 5

Hi All,

I am using NetBackup 6.5.6 and frequently i am facing the exchange logs are not purging.

Backups are partially successful. I need to find out why the logs are not cleared after backups.

i have checked in the details tab and found

"The job was successfully completed, but some files may have been
busy or unaccessible. See the problems report or the client's logs for more details."

I have logged in to client server and checked but unable to find any logs.

Could you please help me to fix this issue. How should i go forward to fix this. I need to make sure why this happening? and whether this is happening due to netbackup issue?

Thanks in advance.

Shin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You give them the errors you see in Activity Monitor Job details and in bpbkar log.

These errors are coming from Exchange. NetBackup is only REPORTING the error.

The same errors will most probably in Event Viewer Application logs on the Exchange Server as well. They need to 'deal' with it and get it fixed.

Tell them that Exchange is purging logs (they actually know this), but only if it gets the 'successful backup' message from NBU. These errors are preventing successful backups.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne

Logs are not being cleared because the backup is partially successful. Status 1 on a database backup is never good. Chances are no restore will be possible.

Please copy ALL text in job details and post it here.

On the Exchange client, please create bpbkar folder under <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\logs.

Check log after next failure.

Planters
Level 5

Thanks for the update..

I have created the folder bpbkar under <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\logs.

Do i need to enable the loggings for this? or with out enabling the verbose the logs will be generated?

Only bpbkar logs will have details of exchange purging issue?

Marianne

Creating the folder enables the log. Default logging level is 0. This is normally good enough to trace 99% of errors.

bpbkar log will tell us why Exchange job is partially successful. As I've said before - on a database backup, status 1 means FAILURE.

Exchange (not NBU) will only purge the logs after successful backup (status 0).

Planters
Level 5

Thanks for your response.

I have created the folder any way, let me check whether the job is success or partially success.

I will update you tomorrow.

Yesterday also i faced this issue i have attached the bpbkar file along with this could you please check and let me know

Shin

Planters
Level 5

Maria,

Any luck..

Marianne

The following errors should also be in the Job details, right?

7:00:30.224 PM: [9472.2812] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: ERR - failure reading file: Microsoft Information Store:\First Storage Group\Mailboxes A-E (PPM1CRP01) (BEDS 0xE000FE7C: Database was not found and could not be backed up. Please make sure database exists and is mounted. )

7:00:37.005 PM: [8476.10720] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: ERR - failure reading file: Microsoft Information Store:\Fourth Storage Group\Mailboxes T-Z (PPM1CRP01) (BEDS 0xE000FE7C: Database was not found and could not be backed up. Please make sure database exists and is mounted.

Check that Backup Selection in Policy is correct.

Verify with Exchange Admins that database exists and is mounted.

PS: I am not on Connect 24 x 7 - need some sleep as well!

Planters
Level 5

Thanks for your help Maria.

You can leave 4th Storage Group because it doesnt have any mailboxes.

Having issues with 1st Storage Group and especially on drive R: and it is filled up it seems because the logs are not purged.

Todays all backups are successfull. Hence no use of pulling out the logs for other server. However i need to find out the cause of First Storage issue with drive R:

Marianne

It is not for me to 'leave 4th Storage Group'. Something in you Backup Selection is telling Exchange to back it up.

I have merely pointed out the reasons for the status 1.

Logs can only be purged after successful (status 0) backup.

1st Storage Group is giving same error as 4th Storage Group. Your Exchange Admins need to deal with the 'not mounted' state...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Bear in mind that if anything in a single exchange policy fails then none of the logs for any storage groups will be truncated

Either get the exchange admins to resolve the errors or split your Storage Groups between between different policies so that at least the successful ones will get their logs truncated.

Hope this helps

Planters
Level 5

Thanks for your response.

I will check with exchange admins about this.

I can see all the exchange backups successfull today. For my understanding why this is happeing, sometimes backup is successfull and sometimes partially successfull. what are the possibilities, so that i can askexchange team to check.

Thanks

shin

Marianne

You give them the errors you see in Activity Monitor Job details and in bpbkar log.

These errors are coming from Exchange. NetBackup is only REPORTING the error.

The same errors will most probably in Event Viewer Application logs on the Exchange Server as well. They need to 'deal' with it and get it fixed.

Tell them that Exchange is purging logs (they actually know this), but only if it gets the 'successful backup' message from NBU. These errors are preventing successful backups.

Planters
Level 5

Thanks Maria,

Thank you for your help.