cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exch 2010 DAG GRT Backup failing: invalid filelist specification(69)

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Hi,

I could do with some help. We have just created an Exchange 2010 organization in our development environment. I have been tasked with getting the GRT backups to work, and prove a restore. We currently run Exch 2003 so this is our first Exch2010 organization. I have followed the symantec guide for getting GRT to work including creating a unique user account for running the services on the client, adding NFS and creating the policy. I am trying to backup the DAG which has 2 mailbox servers. I have checked that DAG replication is healthy and the DAG name can be resolved by the Master/ media servers. I have ensured that the unique service account for the Exch backups has an associated mailbox, and I have sent and recieved an email from that account. I have looked for bkbar and bpfis logs on the clients but nothing is written to them, as though the backup job fails immediately. I am backing up to a NBU5230 storage unit. I am running NB 7.6.0.4, with the clients at that version also. I have installed the latest Symantec VSS provider on the DAG members.

The exchange organization utilise Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Policy:

The backup selction used is: Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\

The client name is the fqdn of our DAG

In the attributes i have selected, perform snapshot backups, ticked Enable granular recovery.

Any advice is appreciated.

Carl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

I logged a support case. It turned out that the policy was causing the error. Created a new policy from scratch and the GRT backups worked.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Regards

Carl

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is NBU installed on all DAG nodes?

Have you created bpresolver log folder on all nodes?

According to the manual, the Backup Selection should include db names:

The backup selections list in the policy must contain Microsoft Exchange
Database Availability Groups:\database name. The the list can contain
more than entry, but each database must be explicitly specified. The use of
Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\ or Microsoft
Exchange Database Availability Groups:\* is not permitted.

RiaanBadenhorst

Try the bpresolver log on the client it connects to after resolving the DAG to a node.

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

NBU is installed on all DAG nodes. I have just tried adding the database name to the backup selection, but i am still recieving the same error:

"could not parse iteration Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\Mailbox Database 01"

I have added host entries to all nodes and the media server to ensure name resoltion is occuring successfully.

I have ensured the bpresolver log is present on all nodes. How can I activate logging to it?

Thanks for your assistance.

Carl

RiaanBadenhorst

Just run the backup, it will log if the folder is there.

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

I logged a support case. It turned out that the policy was causing the error. Created a new policy from scratch and the GRT backups worked.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Regards

Carl