cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 cluster Restore problems

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
Running NB 6 MP 2 on W2K3 cluster. When I go to restore a Storage Group from the cluster to a Recovery Storage Group, I receive an "unable to create object for restore: MS Information store:\.... (BEDS 0x00FF00) Unable to restore restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted. Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount the databases, and then retry the job." We have check and double checked the Recovery Storage Group, it appears to be correct.

Also, when I try to restore from the cluster virtual name I receve a Client is not validated to perform the rquested opertation. Does anyone have any ideas?????
2 REPLIES 2

Graeme_Welsh
Level 5
netbackup isnt as intelligent as ntbackup when it comes to using exchange recovery storage groups :)

u need to redirect the restore
so, after selecting the mailbox store u want to restore
click action-->start restore
then on the 'restore marked files' tab, select �Restore everything to a different location (maintaining existing structure)�
In the destination field, modify the Storage group name, and enter the name of the Recovery storage group that was just created, if the default name was used, this should be �Recovery Storage Group�, meaning the whole field would be Microsoft Information Store\Recovery Storage Group', otherwise netbackup tries to restore to the original location (your live mailbox store), which would fail since the store is mounted and has '�This database can be overwritten by a restore� ticked on the Mailbox stores� properties

with regards to the other problem your having, with not being able to restore to the cluster name, we have an exchange cluster setup with each node installed as a SAN MEdia server, to make netbackup understand that the exchange virtual server name (cluster name) can point to either node, had to do some command line stuff using nbemmcmd, which is fully explained on page 114 of the netbackup high availability guide.... u might need to do something similar with the virtual server name when backing up exchange as a client
hope this helps

AKopel
Level 6
Graeme could be right here. We 'usually' don't have to redirect the restore (although we don't have any exchange clusters)

We HAVE however seen this issue and it is 'usually' fixed by just deleting and recreating the Recovery Storage Group. Also, make sure the directories are empty for your Log and DB paths for your RSG before attempting the restore