cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 Granular backups. Which OS for media server?

MattS
Level 6
I'm trying to figure out if to get granular backups and restores for exchange 2007 on NB6.5.3 to work, do you need a Windows media server?

The documentation is a little unclear as to what is exactly needed. In this exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/305408.pdf on page 29. It states:
    If you want to perform individual item restores with Exchange Server 2007 or 2003 on Windows 2003 R2, you need to install Microsoft Services for NFS on the Windows media server(s). (A supported non-Windows media server does not require any additional installations.)

What exactly is a "Supported non-windows media server"? Does exchange only support certain media servers (cant find any compatibility guides related to this)? Or is it just referring to supported media server OSs in general?

The issue is that I have a Solaris10 media server i was planning on using for exchange backups.  I have a windows media server that is brand new and sitting in our prep area if i absolutely need it, but i would prefer to use that server for it's original intentions.

Thanks for any information,
Matt
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I asked the the question to Symantec support, and the answer was YES, *nix media server is supported.

I did also find the manual a little unclear regarding the matter

Regards

Nicolai

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Supported, non-windows media server....

a non-windows media server ( like unix) that is on the hardware supported list.

But you can always just call them and ask.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
You can also confirm by checking the supported platform information for NetBackup located in Chapter 2, Supported platforms and peripherals, in the NetBackup Release Notes for UNIX, Windows, and Linux.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I asked the the question to Symantec support, and the answer was YES, *nix media server is supported.

I did also find the manual a little unclear regarding the matter

Regards

Nicolai

scorpy_582
Level 6
GRT is supported even on Unix media servers.

The line that is confusing says that if your media server is windows, you need to install "Microsoft services for NFS" and if your media server is Unix, you do not need any additional installation.

I hope this clarifies the doubt

MattS
Level 6
...oops wrong reply button.

MattS
Level 6
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. :)

Matt