Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 SCC Transaction logs not truncating after full backup

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

we are facing issues with one of our exchange server running 2007 and has SCC (single copy cluster). Full backups are not truncating the logs post backup completion. Backup jobs completed successfully from NBU side . We do not see any event for truncating thr logs in event vwr. Any advise?

Clnt -- windows 2008 R2  with version 7.6.1

Master/Media RHEl 2.6.18-416.el5xen  with NBU 7.6.1

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Backup software doesn't truncate logs. It backs them up and then indicates to exchange that a backup occurred, which then allows exchange to truncate the logs.

If you check on your database/information stores it would usually show if a backup had been taken. 

I'm not familiar with SCC but if its a type of log replication scenario then it could be an issue with the standby or failover copy not being in sync with the primary. We used to see this a lot of 2010 when DAG was released.

In those instances it was usually an issue with the replication writers so you might want to check all the exchange process/events/logs.

Thanks Rian for your reply!!

we have 4 other exchange server where I can see an event for truncatign the logs  but  I cannot see them on this server once the backup is finished.

There are two places where you should find a reason the truncation does not occur.

Look in the bpfis log for vss__complete (two underscores) and IVssBackupComponents. If NetBackup thinks Exchange will truncate logs, you should find something such as the following:

INF - vss__complete: ***** Complete VSS snapshot processing *****
Informational: calling IVssBackupComponents::SetBackupSucceeded for status event 'SUCCESS (0x00000000)' with succeeded set to 1(True) for Component 'User?Data\Exchange Server\Microsoft Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\ROCKFALLSVM3\RF3_SG3' object 'ab5e15cd-5b22-4a55-aef1-b6abfebf86b1' when detaching from Shadow?Copy?Components Dle
Informational: calling IVssBackupComponents::SetBackupSucceeded for status event 'SUCCESS (0x00000000)' with succeeded set to 1(True) for Component 'User?Data\Exchange Server\Microsoft Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\ROCKFALLSVM3\RF3_SG2' object 'bb19c71a-6532-4f6d-9182-3d63ff59e2fa' when detaching from Shadow?Copy?Components Dle
INF - vss__complete: Exchange Transaction Logs will be truncated by VSS.

In place of the last line, you might see something like this:

WRN - vss__complete: Backup of database XXXXX failed with status NNNNN
ERR - vss__complete: Exchange Transaction Logs will not be truncated by VSS because of errors encountered during the backup, Backup Status = NNNNN, Validation Status = MMMMM.

(Validation means the consistency check on the snapshot files done by the Microsoft utility.)

Second, if bpfis thinks the logs should be truncated, then look in the Windows event log for a statement from VSS, ESE or Exchange telling why the logs weren't truncated.

@RiaanBadenhorst has a good point. I don't know how it works for Exchange 2007 SCC, but for a DAG in 2010 or later, Exchange doesn't truncate the logs until the backup status has been propagated to the replicas.

(I hope you have a plan to move off of Exchange 2007. NetBackup support is EOL for it. The last NetBackup version to support it is 8.0.)