cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 DAG Backup Tuning

Drabbies
Level 3

I currently have my Exchange backup working through the DAG group.  When the backup is kicked off, it connects to my multiple exchange servers and starts backing up each database.  I just installed a new Disk 2 Disk media server to start working on granular recovery and would like to do some tuning on my exchange backup to make it more efficient.  Currently, it seems to pick databases to be backed up randomly and I would like it to limit the number of database backups to 1 per Exchange server.  Is that possible?  I have 6 Exchange servers, so I would like all 6 to be sending backup data to my media box.  Right now, one Exchange box can take up 5 of the backup jobs and my throughput is limited on the exchange server side which is connected via 1G instead of my media server which has 10G.

Hopefully this makes enough sense to get some ideas of how to tune the individual exchange mailbox servers.

Thank you

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Only thing I can think of is setting Maximum jobs per client on the Master server.  Downside is it may adversely affect other policies where you want several jobs per client.   If not, then give that a go! 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6

Only thing I can think of is setting Maximum jobs per client on the Master server.  Downside is it may adversely affect other policies where you want several jobs per client.   If not, then give that a go! 

Fabrice_P_
Level 4
Certified

Hello,

I was on the same boat with my 4 Exchange serveurs, hosting 12 databases (3 actives / server). It was a nightmare trying to balance the backup loads.

I solved my problem doing a simple thing : on the Exchange policy, I used the "Active copy only" (rather than passive copies). This allow you to know exactly where the DB will be backed-up from and on my case it will create 3 streams for each Exchange machine (or less depending of max job per client).

Fabrice

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You might be able to get the desired effect using 6 different policies. 

Make one policy for each database.

Use the preferred server list to point each policy at a different DAG member.

Try it out and let me know if it works for you.

NOTE: If this works you may run in to unforeseen consequences. This could cripple DAG server performance. You might end up with databases in different states that are not the current state of the active copy. Exchange might not let you do this. Exchange retains a certain level of control over where data comes from. If Exchange returns a server to BPRESOLVER that doesn't match your preferred server list the job will fail.

Drabbies
Level 3

Thanks guys... I changed the max job per client and it is doing what i had hoped.  It is backing up 1 Database at a time from each of the Exchange boxes through the larger DAG backup.  Thank you for the recommended setup.

Eric

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Is there a 'recommended' ratio of databases to servers in the DAG?  We currently have almost 20 databases and 2 servers. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Probably best to ask this type of question on a Microsoft or Exchange forum...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can also limit jobs per client - Host Properties -> Master -> Client Attributes : Add/select Client name, then specify Max Jobs for this client. Do this for each Dag member without affecting global setting.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Yeah, I know it's a bit out of the scope of backups.  Just thought someone might have some input regarding what their company's setup looks like.