Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 DAG EDB's failing over when backup runs

ChrisRobertson
Level 3

Hi All,

Info as follows:

All servers on windows 2008 R2 64-bit

Netbackup 7.6.0.1 on master (single master) and all clients

Exchange 2010 SP3 Rollup 5 - 3 DAG members (1 dr and 2 prod), EDB's distributed evenly over the 2

My backup runs successfully in this order:

1. EDB's freeze, snapshot and unfreeze

2. EDB's all fail to a specific DAG host (the same one every night, lets say they fail from PROD-MAIL1 to PROD-MAIL2)

Backups then run fine and finish successfully but all EDB's are on a single DAG member and have to be redistributed the next morning. Exchange also detects that the EDB's are in 'dirty shutdown' mode.

Any help greatly appreciated to avoid having to log a call with Symantec.

Thanks,

Chris

2 REPLIES 2

jim_dalton
Level 6

Not sure this is a netbackup issue but could be persuaded...what is the cause of the flipover to the one dag host? I would say that when NB runs it exposes the problem but is not a root cause. So...i would head to my exchange admin to see if theres any logs explaining why things flip. Then I'd set NB verbose logging on if theres nothing obvious fro mthe exchange side.

Jim.

ChrisRobertson
Level 3

Thanks for coming back, I have logged a ticket with Symantec for confirmation. They advised me to remove public folders from the dag backups. I am not 100% sure about this being the root cause but I am willing to try. So for this weeken I have a full GRT DAG minus the PF's then a separate non GRT for the PF's

I will feed back shortly.