cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 DAGs and licensing requirements

danielrickard
Level 4

A very quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to online:

Do I need an "Application and Database" license for each member of my DAG, or just one for each member of my DAG that I back up?

e.g.  I have a DAG with an active server at data centre 1 and a passive copy at data centre 2.
I run all of my backups from the passive copy at data centre 2.
Do I need 1 license, or 2?

I currently have enough licenses for every member of the DAG, but renewal is coming up and I was hoping that I could drop one from the renewal quote.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You would need 2 as I believe your active node would be serving as the DAG owner. For Exchange backups Netbackup contacts the DAG owner and bpresolver runs there which gives all neccessary information to Netbackup server about Exchange environemnt. Instead If you plan to take the backup from active node which is also the DAG owner then you would never need to use the other exchange server. You can save on one license over there.

Before taking any decisions I would recommed you to get in touch with Symantec/Veritas SE for the confirmation. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

From the latest licensing guide - 

Microsoft Exchange
 If the Exchange server performs a mailbox role a license is required, regardless of the other roles it may perform.
 If the Exchange server only performs a CAS role then a license is not required. The license key for an Exchange server performing a mailbox role can be used on this server.

A license is not required on an Exchange Edge Server or on an Exchange Hub Server, as these servers do not store data.

You can do following - 

Use Enterprise client license on all nodes from where you backup(You have Netbackup client installed and your policy is setup in such a way that ONLY these servers would be used)

The DAG owner - As bpresolver runs here so it would require Enterprise Client license. If the DAG owner floats then you need to make sure that the Enterprise client license is available on those nodes otherwise manage it so that it does not float. Your choice..

Bottom line is whichever server would be part of BACKUP operation should have a valid license.

danielrickard
Level 4

Thanks SymGuy-IT. Do you have a link to the latest licensing guide? My manager,I think, would enjoy a read of it. It, like all licensing, still seems a bit opaque to me.

"If the Exchange server performs a mailbox role a license is required, regardless of the other roles it may perform." still doesn't fully answer my question.

I can take that to mean that I need just 1 Application and Database license in the example from my first post.
However, would the person auditing my license agreement take that to mean I would need 2 licenses, as I have two servers with mailbox roles in the DAG, even though I only back up one?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately the Licensing Guide only appears on PartnerNet.

We are not allowed to share the Licensing Guides publicly.

Best to contact your local Symantec/Veritas reseller.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

A role it means with regards to a server. Example is we can have more than one role assigned to a server i.e. SQL instance(which is not recommened but I am giving an example). So we dont need more than one license for it. its one license per server.... 

I hope this is clear now.

danielrickard
Level 4

Thanks all for your responses.

I think I can glean my answer from the above thread.

Can I try one last time for an example.

a DAG with 2 servers, 1 active, 1 passive.
I only ever back up the passive server.

Can you confirm how many licenses I would need?
To me, it feels like 1 as I'm only running Netbackup on one server with the mailbox role.
However, I suspect it's 2 licenses, as there are two servers with the mailbox role.

Thank you kindly for your assistance with this.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

You would need 2 as I believe your active node would be serving as the DAG owner. For Exchange backups Netbackup contacts the DAG owner and bpresolver runs there which gives all neccessary information to Netbackup server about Exchange environemnt. Instead If you plan to take the backup from active node which is also the DAG owner then you would never need to use the other exchange server. You can save on one license over there.

Before taking any decisions I would recommed you to get in touch with Symantec/Veritas SE for the confirmation. 

danielrickard
Level 4

Thanks for clearing that up, SymGuy-IT.

I will be sure to double check with our partner. Although I'm sure they'll concur with you.

Thank you, kindly.