Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 GRT Restore "Recoverable Items"

Ed_Carter
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

Does anyone know how you can recover items from the "recoverable items" folder via GRT restore in Exchange 2010.

Say someone sends an dodgy email and purges it from their mailbox straight away. Its gets discovered after the deleted items retention period passes. How can you recover this email?

I'm sure you must be able to do it but when I try to test. When browsing the mailbox the "recoverable items" folder is not visible and I cannot see the deleted mail anywhere.

Appreciate some advise!

Thanks!

Ed

2 REPLIES 2

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is recoverable items a mailbox folder that you created? If you have a GRT backup, browse that mailbox. If non-GRT, restore the database to a recovery database and use Exchange tools to extract the data.

If the email was deleted before we backed up, there's most likley nothing to restore.

Ed_Carter
Level 4
Certified

Hi, thanks for the response.

No the recoverable items is a hidden folder that was previously known as the dumpster in older exchange versions. All deleted/purged mail goes into this location (that is hidden from the Outlook client) and remains there for whatever period is set (default is 14 days) before being permanantly purged from the DB. However this doesn't seem visible when browsing with GRT.