cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 backup not getting all databases,

pmc214
Level 5

Hello,

We have Exchange 2010 which we are now running 4 databases. My backup is only getting 1 so the others are not purging.

Do i have a setting wrong in the policy or ????

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

pmc214
Level 5

sorry, we use nbu 7.5.0.3 in windows server 2003. exchange 2010sp1.

Ray_Esperanzate
Level 4

Need more information than that.  Are you using a DAG ?  In the policy, what do you have listed under backup selections ?

pmc214
Level 5

yes DAG

Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\

In attributes tab, Microsoft Exchange Attributes box i had active copy....i think that is wrong...should it be passive copy only (or passive copy....) and add the database servers in the preferred server list.?

may have jumped the gun on my question.

Ray_Esperanzate
Level 4

It depends on what you want to do.  You can certainly backup the active copy, so that shouldn't be a problem, with the exception that you will be possibly affecting your users. 

Have you tried to separate out the individual db's in the DAG ? 

ex:

policy1: Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\<dag name>\DB01

policy2: Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\<dag name>\DB02

policy3: Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\<dag name>\DB03

policy4: Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\<dag name>\DB04

That should make it easier to troubleshoot where the issue is.

pmc214
Level 5

so you dont want to do it with one policy? if so, what is the  preferred method.

so I changed mine to - Passive copy only (or passive copy from preffered server list)

and added the databases to the preferred list - mbx01 & mbx02.... will this not work correctly?

Ray_Esperanzate
Level 4

It should, i was merely trying to break it out for troubleshooting purposes because you initially said you were only getting 1 DB backed up out of your 4. 

My setup is like how you detailed where i have a single policy, in the exchange 2010 config, i have "passive copy and if not available active copy"

backup selections is:

Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\mydag.company.com

pmc214
Level 5

i just have this - Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\

and the DAG01 in the clients ,

should it be - Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\DAG01.domain.org

?

Ray_Esperanzate
Level 4

The way you have it should work, sorry for the confusion.  In the clients list, i would put "DAG01.domain.org"

Also, have you gone through all the steps outlined in this video ?

http://www.symantec.com/tv/products/details.jsp?vid=736743545001

Will_Restore
Level 6

Windows 2003 SP1 

from the Software Compatibility List

3. Jobs that use Granular Recovery Technology for Active Directory, Exchange, and SharePoint are not supported on this Media Server platform.

This might have some bearing on your problem?

edit * fixed some formatting issues