cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2013 GRT VMWare

Timothy_T
Level 2

I've been trying to set up our Exchange 2013 backups.  We just moved from Exchange 2007 where are backups were CCR and so far backing up DAG has been very frustrating.  Our environment is as follows:
2 vmware Client Access Servers
2 vmware Mailbox servers
1 DAG with an IP
Ive been trying to use the VMWare policy with the enable exchange recovery option set.  Our backup selections are set to our two Mailbox servers.  I have the mailbox servers running the services under a service account with the correct permissions and the service account has a mailbox.
Inside the Host Properties / Master Servers should the DAG name be in the application host?  What should I be putting there?
Should I put anything under Host Properties / Clients?
Also, when making my client selection inside the policy, the VMware Intelligent Policy query keeps returning the APIPA DAG address for the second mailbox server.  I've changed the binding order with no luck.

Thanks for any help!

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Check the exchange admin guide and the vmware admin guide, don't think GRT is supported the in VMWARE policies only the full database backup type.

But in normal DAG backups, you set the DAG name as the client name and then the DAG tells the resolver which database to backup through which mailbox server.

For GRT restores you need to access the exchange system through a CAS, again described in the exchange admin guide along with the needed permissions and extra setup like NFS.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Timothy_T
Level 2

If you check their guides they specifically say that you can use VMWare backups with GRT.  They just don't work.  Here is a link to the article. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000071561 I went back to the traditional non-vm backup and all seems to be working fine.  They need to fix the VMWare Intelligent Policy query if they are going to force people to use it when selecting Application Protection in VMWare backups.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You forgot to select or tell us which NBU version.

If you are on a very recent NBU version (e.g. 7.7.2 or 7.7.3) I suggest that you log a Support call with Veritas to point out shortcomings with VIP and DAG backups.

Or maybe try to change the VM identifier (host name / display name) in the VMware tab of the policy and see if that makes a difference.
Or create a separate VMware policy with only the 'Granular proxy host name' manually selected/specified in Clients tab (see TN mentioned below).

Entries to be added on the Master server is documented under " To configure the Exchange hosts for a backup that uses Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)" of  http://www.veritas.com/docs/000071453  
Sroll down to "Example entries for Exchange hosts for a VMware backup"