cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2013 Single Mailbox Restore with NBU 7.6.1

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

I am using a VMWare policy for Exchange type database and have upgraded the NBU client on my Exchange 2013 server from version 7.5 to 7.6.1

Now I am able to browse the backup down to the individual mailbox under the mailbox database!

My question is, How can I actually use this to restore a single mailbox to an alternative user such as a RecoveryUser ?

Netbackup server is 7.6.1 on windows 2008 and the Exchange server is 2013 cu6 on Windows 2012 R2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think so - found this in the 7.6.1 release notes

■ You no longer need to install NetBackup or Network File System (NFS) client services on a Client Access server (CAS) to perform granular restore technology (GRT) restores for Exchange Server 2010 or Exchange Server 2013. You also do not need to make any other configuration settings on the CAS for NetBackup. NetBackup now performs Exchange granular restores on the destination client that you configure or specify. As in previous NetBackup releases, NetBackup uses Exchange Web Services (EWS) to restore mailbox and public folder items. In the past, NetBackup used a local host URL to interface with EWS, and thus needed to execute on a CAS. Beginning with version 7.6.0.3 NetBackup began GRT support for Exchange Server 2013. NetBackup 7.6.0.3 and later can execute on any Exchange server that has access to the target database. From that client, NetBackup includes a discovered CAS in the URL that it uses to access EWS. The PowerShell syntax to set the EWS-related attributes is different for Exchange Server 2013 than the syntax for Exchange Server 2010. For Exchange 2013 with NetBackup 7.6.0.3 or later

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC7451.html page 19

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I belive you need Netbackup GRT option to do single mailbox restores.

On page 54

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC8238.html

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Has this changed in 7.6.1 for VMWare type backups? I can definitely see the mailboxes under the database.

I'm considering creating a test user and see if I can restore them.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think so - found this in the 7.6.1 release notes

■ You no longer need to install NetBackup or Network File System (NFS) client services on a Client Access server (CAS) to perform granular restore technology (GRT) restores for Exchange Server 2010 or Exchange Server 2013. You also do not need to make any other configuration settings on the CAS for NetBackup. NetBackup now performs Exchange granular restores on the destination client that you configure or specify. As in previous NetBackup releases, NetBackup uses Exchange Web Services (EWS) to restore mailbox and public folder items. In the past, NetBackup used a local host URL to interface with EWS, and thus needed to execute on a CAS. Beginning with version 7.6.0.3 NetBackup began GRT support for Exchange Server 2013. NetBackup 7.6.0.3 and later can execute on any Exchange server that has access to the target database. From that client, NetBackup includes a discovered CAS in the URL that it uses to access EWS. The PowerShell syntax to set the EWS-related attributes is different for Exchange Server 2013 than the syntax for Exchange Server 2010. For Exchange 2013 with NetBackup 7.6.0.3 or later

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC7451.html page 19

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

I'm guessing that a recovery of a single mailbox from tape is not possible.

11:49:50 (37388.xxx) Found (542) files in (1) images for Restore Job ID 37388.xxx
11:50:02 (37389.xxx) Granular restore has failed because the backup image is on tape. Please duplicate the image (EXCHSVR1_1438704752) to disk.11:50:02 INF - Server status = 144
11:50:02 Status of restore from copy 1 of image created 04/08/2015 17:00:38 = invalid command usage

11:50:02 The following files/folders were not restored:
11:50:02 UTF - /Microsoft Information Store/Mailbox Database 1/Database/Recovery Mailbox User [recoverymailboxuser]/

11:50:02 INF - Server status = 5

a_la_carte
Level 5

No two guesses for the disk-based backup requirement for NBU GRT to work for exchange backup and restore. For Exchange 2013, it has been supported starting NBU 7.6.0.3

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/grt-exchange-2013-backup-only-disk-no-tape

Even the message in your logs above clearly shows that if the first backup image is on tape, then you need to duplicate it to disk and then perform the GRT restore from disk-based backup image.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

All Netbackup GRT operation require the primary image to be disk based.