cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup time vs. Exchange GRT Backup time

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

I have been running Exchange database backups for a while and was asked to test GRT backups and restores.  I backed up an Exchange database in a lab environment and wow'ed everyone with the ease of restoring individual items instead of the entire database to recover an email.  The GRT backup ran only a few minutes longer than the backup without GRT.  However, the test database is 45GB and my production Exchange is housing about 6 TB

Is there someone out there who has a similar, or larger, sized database than can provide some insight as to how much longer GRT backups take in comparison to the normal database backups?  GRT backups might not even be an option if it takes too long.  I know the Exchange dudes aren't going to let me test this on the production environment and I really don't want to import 6 TB of data into my lab.

NetBackup 7.6.0.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and Exchange 2013.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

if I am not wrong you will not make the 6 tb backup in a single stream..so you does not needs to worry about the GRT time when considering the advantages that you are going to get with it..

and GRT in exchage 2013 is not yet supported...  :) so you probably needs to wait for future releases...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla

if I am not wrong you will not make the 6 tb backup in a single stream..so you does not needs to worry about the GRT time when considering the advantages that you are going to get with it..

and GRT in exchage 2013 is not yet supported...  :) so you probably needs to wait for future releases...

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

GRT in exchage 2013 is not yet supported...  :)yes

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

cant test sad

if am not wrong---if it is 6tb(more data) obviously it makes huge differnce ..

Granular backups/recoveries take longer to allow NetBackup to index mailbox/public folder information...

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

Wow!  I had a Symantec Engineer on the line this morning helping me configure the GRT policy.  My servers are even called E2K13MBOX....

I went back to my Admin guide and looked up the "Exchange Granual Recovery" chapter, Chapter 6, and there, in black and white, "Exchange 2010 and earlier."

When I read through the docs, I guess I assumed 2013 would be addressed later in the guide.  There I go assuming again.

Thank you both for the responses and the great news :)   I have been working on this for almost 2 weeks.  Now I can stop.

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Exchange GRT Backups are taking little long time than DB level exchange backups.

But along with this you can schedule incremental backups in GRT which is not possible in DB level exchange backups.

RamNagalla

Ontherocks,

Incremental backups in GRT is not possible.. only Full backup in GRT is supported.

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Thanks Nagalla !!! for correction ...

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Randy

Probably a good idea to subscribe to this TN:
NetBackup 7 Application/Database Agent (CL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126904

You will receive notification each time it is updated.

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

THERE'S the guru I was waiting for :)  Thank you ma'am.