Exchange GRT

alireza1023
Level 4

Hi

I've installed netbackup 8.2 on windows 2016 as master and 2012 r2 as media

my clinet is Exchange 2016 CU5 on 2012 R2 with Client 8.2 and is VM

I have 2 mailbox DB on drive D:\ that's GPT

at first I created VMware Policy with Exchange GRT Enabled

GRT Functionality for Database 'Microsoft Information Store:\DB02-Branch' is not supported because volume <D:\> is on a GPT disk and is not supported.

I saw this error is fixed in 7.7.3 and can be ignored

my problem is when I browse backup it doesn't show items in mailbox. sometimes show no entity was found in Java Backup Archive and Restore GUI

in BAR doesn't show items again. our Databases are about 700GB

I created another db on MBR Disk and moved some mailbox, but problem is not solved

I created exchange policy and again not solved

this https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100034088.html is not compatible with 8.2

exchange account that I used is domain admin and member of Organization Management and has Token Replace authority

8 REPLIES 8

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Looks like a standalone MS Exchange server, and not a DAG - correct?

Are you able to configure a normal MS Exchange backup policy?

If you are not able to configure a backup policy because NetBackup Master Server cannot browse the client properly, then you need to revisit the documentation and double-check your configuration.

If you are able to configure a backup policy, then please show the error from the backup job, from Activity Monitor.

Hi

I tried Exchange Policy and VMware Policy (I prefer VMware)

I haven't any problem in backup

my problem is in browse backup for restore, I can browse Information Store then DB and then mailbox

but I can't browse inside of mailbox for restoring individual item

it's standalone Exchange

sdo

What form/type of backup storage (tape, or disk - if disk then which type of disk) are the backups being written too ?

sdo

Have you worked your way through this tech note:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038019.html

FYI - here's a thing that can catch poeple out... if your service account for NetBackup for MS Exchange is for example named "svc_netbackup" and let's say that for example that you have another service account for running scripts named for example "svc_netbackup_tasks" - then you will have a problem because your service account name for MS Exchange backups partially matches the service account name for scheduled tasks - i.e. the MS exchange backup service account is not utterly unique.  What I'm trying to say is that the service account name for MS Exchange backups must not partially match any other account name.  HTH.

Storage is MSDP

your link said about non-VMware policy, but I create a unique name and say new results tomoroow. because the account is used was my account

another point for example my domain is laboratory.com. Pre-Windows 2000 name is lab and alternate UPN is mylab.com

account is lab\nbu_svc (domain admin, Organization management and set in client properties), is it OK?

sdo

ok - I think we need to wait for someone else to join in.

the account name of "lab\nbu_svc" is ok as long as nothing else like "lab\nbu_svc*" exists (for example, as long as "lab\nbu_svcanything" does not exist)

The reason I suggested that tech note is because... why don't you try to get a classic non-VMware MS Exchange working first, and then MS Exchange with GRT working first ?  Before you/we/I complicate matters with the additional abstraction that VMware introduces.  Maybe try to prove normal MS Exchange with GRT work first ?

I tried with new account but same as old. the problem isn't solved

I have no other account similar to this acc

I first tried VMware policy, then I tried Exchange policy both of them don't show objects in mailboxes in browse backup neither in BAR and Java

Do you have an existing support case on this? If not I'd love to see your logs from the backup and the restore. They'll be too big to attach here. You can tell Support to attach them to Service Request 3981125.

Meanwhile, take a verbose ncflbc log of the browse attempt and report here what errors you find.

Please post the volume information here - volume names and types, drive letters, vmdk's, which volumes contain Exchange data, whether the Exchange data is on mount points.

The logs I would like are as follows:

- bpfis log from the VM for the application state capture (ASC) job during the backup.
- vxms and bpbkar logs from the backup host during the backup.
- ncflbc log from the VM during the browse attempt.
- nbfsd log from the restore host during the browse attempt.