cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Policy doesn't show Information Store

lwalid
Level 2

Hi,

First we created an Exchange Policy and specified the Microsoft Information Store to be backed up, and everything went fine. After we opted to delete this policy and create a new one, this time when we tried to add the Microsoft Information Store it didn't show up ! So we checked the permisions and all prerequisites. After 2 days we tried again and it showed up and backed up succesfully , and then we wanted to change the destination storage and here the same issue appeared again.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bpresolver is not involved during Exchange policy creation. It's used to determine whether a mailbox server is part of a DAG, and to find the appropriate server on which to back up each database in a DAG. It also gets called to find the active server for a DAG database restore, and to find a CAS for a GRT restore.

The last usage is a no-op from NetBackup 7.6.0.3 forward, in which bpresolver simply returns the host name on which it is run as the "CAS." That was due to the server role and EWS changes in Exchange 2013, but the NetBackup change applies to Exchange 2010 as well.

So, for your policy creation roles, start with bpcd on the client.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It looks like resolving issue. How complicated your Exchange configuration is? DAG or standalone? 

The client Exchange Server provides the list. For insight into why sometimes you don't get it, look at the bpcd log on the client.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Or in the "bpresolver" log, which is the actual NetBackup Client component which translates the high level "backup policy selection" object names in to "application agent specific" backup selection object names.

Bpresolver is not involved during Exchange policy creation. It's used to determine whether a mailbox server is part of a DAG, and to find the appropriate server on which to back up each database in a DAG. It also gets called to find the active server for a DAG database restore, and to find a CAS for a GRT restore.

The last usage is a no-op from NetBackup 7.6.0.3 forward, in which bpresolver simply returns the host name on which it is run as the "CAS." That was due to the server role and EWS changes in Exchange 2013, but the NetBackup change applies to Exchange 2010 as well.

So, for your policy creation roles, start with bpcd on the client.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hey thanks for the detail.  If only more of such... "this is how it actually works" detail was prevalent... I stand corrected (for having too quickly assumed backup execution and having somehow missed the blatent fact that this was regarding policy creation/amendment only).  Ta.   (incremental lesson learned - yet again!).

Marianne
Sure that Exchange server provides the list?
Are drop-down directives based on policy type not a master server function?

Marianne has a good point. The basic directives such as "Microsoft Information Store:\" come from a list installed on the master server. I was speaking from my habit of browsing for the selection list. When I browse, everything below the client name including Microsoft Information store comes from asking the client.

Marianne

I have noticed that there has been no response from @lwalid since the opening post.

It seems to be pretty pointless then to look for and suggest files with Directives to double-check on the master.

The path can be manually typed in Backup Selection.

Thank you for the answer, i found out the problem was that the client service at the DAG nodes was started with a different account than local system, i changed it and it worked.