Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup image import not granular

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

I am trying to import an exchange backup image which belonged to a different NetBackup server. The image which was imported was backed up on a basic disk storage unit(basically a high capacity USB disk). After the import finished I am unable to see granular items for recovery. I can only see the Information store and the SG underneath it. Anything I can do see granular items?

We dont have access to original NBU server.

Thanks and Regards..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I was referring to the new environment. Logic would dictate that if you had setup the requirements to take Granular backups in your environment everything would already be working. If you were then to bring an image from another master server, you could potentially import it and use it.

That is why asked if it was setup.

So can you now confirm that the new environment can do granular, or at least has the NFS requirement setup on the master/media?

View solution in original post

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

They just mentioned that it may be due to original backup not performed at granular level.

Regards..

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RiaanBadenhorst

Is that disk defined as a storage unit now?

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Nope, i just keyed in the path during the import process. No STU defined for those USB disks

RiaanBadenhorst

NetBackup would need access to the storage unit to browse the images if you want to see GRT info. The process would usually be....

1. Backup to disk (GRT restores can occur because NBU can see the STU)
  2. Duplicate to tape and choose to
    1. Catalog the GRT information in the Catalog (takes longer)
    2. Skip the GRT information
  3. Restore from GRT backups
    1. Duplicate it back to disk STU for GRT restore if you HAVE NOT not performed step 2.1
    2. Restore from tape if you HAVE performed step 2.1

So in your case, even if you had performed step 2.1 then that info would be in your other master's catalog. So you would need to make the images visible via the STU.

That's how i understand it.

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Riaan,

I created a storage unit for the USB disk. The only difference I saw was that now if I choose "disk" during import, the disk path(from storage unit) gets automatically populated and I dont have to key it in.

I ran a second phase import(didnt run 1st phase as images still show up in Catalog) but still couldnt see the individual mail items. 

Regards.. 

RiaanBadenhorst

Are you performing GRT backups of exchange from the new master? Are the NFS client service installed and up?

RiaanBadenhorst

And also check/post the NBFSD log on the media server.

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Riaan,

The new exchange server VM where we are going to do the restore is yet to be setup.

Do we need to setup the destination server before I can browse the backups from the backup USB?

Regards,

RiaanBadenhorst

No but i wanted to know if you had configured all the prerequisites surrounding GRT backup of exchange like the NFS etc. Without that you can't do GRT browse.

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Riaan,

So if the backup was not done in a particular manner, I cant restore even though I setup the destination env meeting all prerequeistes?

Sorry, we dont have access to old NBU server or its config. So cant comment on how the Exchange was backed up earlier.

Thanks and Regards,

RiaanBadenhorst

I was referring to the new environment. Logic would dictate that if you had setup the requirements to take Granular backups in your environment everything would already be working. If you were then to bring an image from another master server, you could potentially import it and use it.

That is why asked if it was setup.

So can you now confirm that the new environment can do granular, or at least has the NFS requirement setup on the master/media?

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Nope. not yet .But most likely begining next week the env would be up. I would setup the NFS on the master server. Will let know how it goes..

Thanks a lot!!!

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I worked with Symantec on this one. They mentioed that after import if we cant see granular level items in the BAR gui, we cant restore individual items.Only way is via the RSG.

Thanks and Regards...

RiaanBadenhorst

Interesting, any details on why?

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

They just mentioned that it may be due to original backup not performed at granular level.

Regards..