cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup using IBM VSS Hardware provider

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

I am running master on WIN 2003 - 64 bit version 7.1.0.4 also having an exchange serves (on DAG) running on NBU 7.1

I am trying to configure backup's using VSS hardware provider but the snap shot creation process is getting failed. When I use a diskshadow utility at the command level - I am able to create a shadow copy for the drive using the same provider.

But when the backup is invoked through netbackup the snap creation process is getting failed. Attached is the BPFIS log for the failure.

Note: Same backup configuration with provider as system is getting completed sucessfully. But the customer requirement is to run backup using the HW provider.

Can some one help on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

I was using IBM VSS HW provider and the LUNS were provisioned from the IBM SVC.

The drive size of the DB and Logs were 150 GB and 100 Gb. As per the procedure document, we need to create LUN equal to the drive size for the snap's to happen.

C:\Program Files\IBM\Hardware Provider for VSS-VDS>ibmvcfs list free (will list all available free LUN's)

This above command returned output saying the LUN were only of size 20 GB. Hence the LUN's were increased in size and then the HW provider SNAP backup using netbackup completed sucessfully.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

I was using IBM VSS HW provider and the LUNS were provisioned from the IBM SVC.

The drive size of the DB and Logs were 150 GB and 100 Gb. As per the procedure document, we need to create LUN equal to the drive size for the snap's to happen.

C:\Program Files\IBM\Hardware Provider for VSS-VDS>ibmvcfs list free (will list all available free LUN's)

This above command returned output saying the LUN were only of size 20 GB. Hence the LUN's were increased in size and then the HW provider SNAP backup using netbackup completed sucessfully.