cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange redirected restore to different client

oolmedo
Level 4
Hello colleagues, I have the following situation: Netbackup client 8.1.2 installed on Exchange Server 2010 hostname "A", backups and recover were running properly. Recently, the mailboxes were migrated to a new Exchange Server 2016 hostname "B", we install the NBU client on the new server and the backups are running properly. After mailboxes migration, the Exchange Server A was powered off. Now, I need to recover several mails backed up with the server A, some month ago, the images are still valid and I am able to see in the BAR interface, I have configured the restore using the server A as the source client and the server B as the destination client, still, I am able to browse the original database but when I try to browse for mails and folders I receive the message "cannot connect on socket", it seems that the grt restore need to connect to the original server A client (it doesnt exist anymore). Is it possible to restore those mails and folders even the original client is not reachable?, am I doing wrong?....what options I have in order to restore this information? Thanks for your help Best regards oolmedo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For the browse to work, you need to set the destination client to a Windows client that exists. It doesn't even have to have Exchange on it. NetBackup captures the Microsoft eseutil DLL in the backup. (That's legal because it's a redistributable binary.) NetBackup uses eseutil from the backup to access the backed up image. That way, the Exchange version exactly matches.

The actual restore may work. Try it. NetBackup harvests messages with their attributes and attachments from the backup image. It constructs new messages and attachments, and tells the Microsoft EWS service to save them in the target database. This will work so long as the message from your 2010 database doesn't have an attribute that is not supported (or has changed type) in your 2016 database.

If the restore does not work because of a database incompatibility, then you will need to stand up an Exchange 2010 server as the target of your restore. Then use Exchange tools to move the messages to your 2016 server. If it comes to that and server A is still available to power up, you could use Exchange tools to move the messages directly from A to B without the NetBackup restore step.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

To restore an Exchange mailbox you need to have a server with the same version as the backup (among other requirements). It does not need to be the same server. This can be found in the NetBackup Exchange Server Admin Guide (although not necessarily easily) see here: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/19475139-127283815-0/v14706174-127283815

So you will either need to power Exchange server "A" back on, or stand up a temporary server running Exchange 2010 to enable the restore. 

Annoying I know, but I think the issue is with Exchange services rather than NetBackup. This question has been asked before by the way https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Exchange-restores-to-different-versions/

Cheers
David

For the browse to work, you need to set the destination client to a Windows client that exists. It doesn't even have to have Exchange on it. NetBackup captures the Microsoft eseutil DLL in the backup. (That's legal because it's a redistributable binary.) NetBackup uses eseutil from the backup to access the backed up image. That way, the Exchange version exactly matches.

The actual restore may work. Try it. NetBackup harvests messages with their attributes and attachments from the backup image. It constructs new messages and attachments, and tells the Microsoft EWS service to save them in the target database. This will work so long as the message from your 2010 database doesn't have an attribute that is not supported (or has changed type) in your 2016 database.

If the restore does not work because of a database incompatibility, then you will need to stand up an Exchange 2010 server as the target of your restore. Then use Exchange tools to move the messages to your 2016 server. If it comes to that and server A is still available to power up, you could use Exchange tools to move the messages directly from A to B without the NetBackup restore step.

Hello Lowell

Finally we recreate a Exchange 2010 in order to do the restore.

thanks to all and best regards