cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude Oracle DB from a Oracle VIP policy

road
Level 3

Hi

We have a Oracle VIP policy covering a lot of Instances in a Instance group. Policy is covering that Instance group. 

Oracle dbA want to do a lot of work on only one of the instances, and want to do this without a full backup running. He wants archivelog to run every 4 hours, since the work will produce a huge load of logs. But not the scheduled full. 

My problem is that this policy backs up other Oracle instances which will need to run as scheduled.

One solution could be to create a new policy covering only the affected Oracle Instance, with archive log schedule, and then remove the instance for the policy containing other Instances.

Any clever ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

yes a separate policy is probably the only solution. Oracle/MSSQL Intelligent Policies are not designed for excludes yet.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Yes - have a look at the exclude disk options in the backup policy.

One of the options is a "Perform custom attribute based exclusion". What this requires on a VM is an attribute (defaults to NB_DISK_EXCLUDE_LIST) which contains a list of the VMDK's NOT to backup. The list is a list of the disks to exclude from the backup (for example scsi0-0,ide0-0,sata0-1,nvme0-2). If the attribute doesn't exist on the VM, then everything is backed up.

So adding this to the policy will not change anything until you also add the attribute to the VM and provide a list of disks.

Review the VMware administration manual and the help section of the console for more details - especially the behaviour when you add and remove ddisks from the list.

Note - don't use the "Specific disk(s) to be excluded" option, as this list applies to ALL VMs in the policy.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

yes a separate policy is probably the only solution. Oracle/MSSQL Intelligent Policies are not designed for excludes yet.

Regards

Michal

Thanks for your reply!

The policy type is Oracle, and I should have written OIP and not VIP. My bad.

Thanks!

I will mark this as the solution.

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

No - I just misread your question.