cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude Q:\ drive from client doesn't work

lovee
Level 5

Hello,

I have a windows physical client to take backup and in policy backup selection is all_local_drives and allow multistreaming check box is cheked. When i trigger backup it failed for Q:\ with error code 90 (media manager received no dat for backup image).

i have exclude Q:\ drive from Host prop.->clients->Window client->exclude list  by adding Q:\*   but its not working. Its failing with same error.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

lovee
Level 5

And when i remove allow multisteam option in policy , backup competed partially with warning inside job detail:

can't open directory: Q: (WIN32 5: Access is denied.)

Please provide solution.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The drive letter Q: is often used to denote a quorum drive in a cluster.

The first question to get answered, by your server admins, is... is the physical client in a cluster?

If yes, what clustering software?  MSCS? Maybe even SIOS?  And if clustered then search this forum for tips of configuring clustered backup clients, as this topic has been covered many many times before.

If the backup client is not a member of a cluster - then it could simply be that someone has gone to great lengths to ensure that access to the contents of Q: is restricted, and maybe has even deliberately blocked access by backup software (but this is rare).

Your first step is to talk to a server or clustering admin at your site.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
@lovee
Please reply to attempts to help you?

Hello

sorry for the delay. i am still facing the same issue. i have exclude Q: from master host prop. and also from client side registry exclude file. but it backup is still partially competed with warning can't open directory Q:\. 

Thanks

Marianne

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES works like this:
When the job starts, the master connects directly to the client to request output of bpmount and setup Backup Selection. 
So, Q-drive will be enumerated along with other drive letters.

Only when bpbkar starts on the client is Exclude List consulted.
This is where your proble lies - the NBU Client Service logon account does not have access to Q-drive to know what on Q-drive to exclude.

You have 3 choices:

1. Change NBU Client Service logon account to something with at least read access to top level folders on Q-drive.
2. Specify drive letters manually in policy Backup Selection.
3. Accept and live with the errors....

Tousif
Level 6

Hi,

I would recommend to run bpbkar null test against that Q:\ drive and check if bpbakar able to read that drive. It seems to be issue with permission.

Please check the owner of NBU services and try to create touch file using the same user on Q:\ drive.

As mentioned in this trail Q:\ drive normally assign for quorum disk. Is that client part of MS-Cluster?

Could you please share some more information about the Q:\ drive.

What is type of Q:\ drive e.g Local, LUN, CIFS etc?
Is that drive show in disk management?

It will much appreciate if you share the print screen of disk management including the Q:\ drive status?

If you really do not want to take backup of Q:\ drive then remove all_local_drives from backup selection and add invidual drive name and system state except Q:\ drive and try to take backup.

Marianne

Another 3 weeks without any update from @lovee ?