cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude for Linux client not working

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hello All,

We have several linux clients that are getting code 71 files none of the files in the file list exist.   The issue is the /run/usr/1000/gvfs and we have tried to exclude it and none of the excludes below are working.

/run/usr/1000/gvfs

/run/usr/1000/gvfs/*

/run/usr/1000/*

/run/usr/1000/

"/run/usr/1000/*"

"/run/usr/1000/"

/run/usr/1000/gvfs

/run/usr/1000/gvfs/*

/run/usr/1000/*

/run/usr/1000/

"/run/usr/1000/"

"/run/usr/1000/*"

run/usr/1000/gvfs

/run/usr/1000/gvfs/*

/run/usr/1000/*

/run/usr/1000/

"/run/usr/1000/"

"/run/usr/1000/*"

I  have all-local drives selected and I tried stopping and restarting Netbackup Client services and the code 71 error still continues  for /run/usr/1000/gvf*.

More Info

Netbackup server running 7.6.0.3

Netbackup clients are  running 7.6.0.1 (we are going to upgrade and Netbackup 7.6.0.3

There are about 8 of these Linux servers getting the same error  on the same directory /run/usr/1000/gvfs

Thanks for any help or assistance in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

I believe we found the Solution, remove/unselect multi-streaming from the policy. We did that with a few of the policies and the backups completed without the 71 errors.

Thanks for all your responses.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

Did you check the bpbkar logs in debug to see what message it gives while excluding this path ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

is the exclude file EXCATLY like this :

/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list

File contain:

/run

Could you please check /run isn't a loopback mount of /var/run ?

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Also 

Do not use patterns with links in the names. For example, assume /home is a
link to /usr/home and /home/doc is in the exclude list. The file is still backed up in this case because the actual directory path, /usr/home/doc, does not match the exclude list entry, /home/doc.

And check if multistream is enabled .. if yes then, you will get a job created for each backup selection, then the exclude lists are applied, you then end up with a 71 as you are excluding all of one of the backup selections

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks,

nbutech and  Nicolai for your reply's

nbutech, I added the bpbkar logs to help debug.

Nicolai,

I have all those excludes in the list

how do I check if /run isn't in a loopback mount?

Thanks, I will update

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Run the command : mount

Should display something similar:

/dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvroot on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvhome on /home type ext4 (rw,nodev)
/dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvopt on /opt type ext4 (rw,nodev)
/dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvtmp on /tmp type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvusr on /usr type ext4 (rw,nodev)

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks, here what it displayed

mount

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=3995884k,nr_inodes=998971,mode=755)

securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)

tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)

tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)

pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)

configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)

/dev/mapper/rhel-root on / type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota)

systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=32,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)

debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)

hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)

mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)

/dev/sda1 on /boot type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota)

/dev/mapper/rhel-home on /home type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota)

binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)

gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)

sru
Level 3

Gnome virtual file system only allows access to the user that owns the directory.

Try to add

*/.gvfs

to exclude_list (note the dot in front of gvfs).

However, i did not test that myself.

Another possibility would be to add user_allow_other  to /etc/fuse.conf.

Depending on the distribution you are using there are additional commands to run so that root finally is allowed to read these directories.

I understand that you do *not* want to backup these, but it still may help if it could be read.

What i propose here has not too much to do with netbackup, it is what i read about when tracking gvfs related problems in other applications.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Sru,

Thank you for your response,  I added the */.gvfs to the exclude on two of the offending linux clients per your instructions along with all the other excludes I have tried. I also tried a different variation

/run/usr/1000/gvfs

/run/usr/1000/gvfs/*

/run/usr/1000/*

/run/usr/1000/

"/run/usr/1000/*"

"/run/usr/1000/"

/run/usr/1000/gvfs

/run/usr/1000/gvfs/*

/run/usr/1000/*

/run/usr/1000/

"/run/usr/1000/"

"/run/usr/1000/*"

run/usr/1000/gvfs

/run/usr/1000/gvfs/*

/run/usr/1000/*

/run/usr/1000/

*/run/usr/1000/"

"/run/usr/1000/*"

*/.gvfs

*/.1000/gvfs

*/.run/usr/.1000/*

*/.1000/gvfs/*

offending Linux client 2

/run/usr/1000/gvfs

/run/usr/1000/gvfs/*

/run/usr/1000/*

/run/usr/1000/

"/run/usr/1000/"

"/run/usr/1000/*"

/1000/*

/1000/gvfs/

/1000/gvfs/*

1000/gvfs/*

1000/gvfs/

*/.gvfs

*/gvfs/

*/1000/gvfs/*

*/.1000/gvfs 

*/.1000/gvfs/*

As you can see I added my own variations just to try and still all that is not excluding /run/usr/1000/gvfs. There are actually 10 of these linux client backups that are having this issue so If I can find the right exclude for one I can put it in the other exclude lists.

Also, I have never done this >>>  add user_allow_other  to /etc/fuse.conf. ? how does this work?

Thanks for all the responses, this is frustrating not being able to find the right exclude.

sru
Level 3

how does this work

I am referring to

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1343843

The Solution they give for RHEL6.x,RHEL7.x is basically what you did, so i am out of ideas now:

It is not advised to backup anything under the .gvfs directory structure for any users. This is a special filesystem used by the Gnome Desktop for convenient access to remote network filesystems, removeable media, and similar special filesystems that would be persistent elsewhere. It is advisable to set backup software to ignore these filesystems. The following patterns could be added to the backup software application's exclusion list:

• /root/.gvfs
  • /home/*/.gvfs

sru
Level 3

how does this work

I am referring to

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1343843

The Solution they give for RHEL6.x,RHEL7.x is basically what you did, so i am out of ideas now:

It is not advised to backup anything under the .gvfs directory structure for any users. This is a special filesystem used by the Gnome Desktop for convenient access to remote network filesystems, removeable media, and similar special filesystems that would be persistent elsewhere. It is advisable to set backup software to ignore these filesystems. The following patterns could be added to the backup software application's exclusion list:

• /root/.gvfs
  • /home/*/.gvfs

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi sru,

Thanks again, yes I am running out of ideas for the exclude also.  I could try  to exclude  below

• /root/.gvfs
  • /home/*/.gvfs

However I don't believe that would work because the error is pointing to >>>  /run/usr/1000/gvfs

Maybe I could also try  >>> /usr/* but that may exclude something that should not be excluded.

Thanks

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

/run is a temporary file system (type tmpfs).

Have you tried /run/*

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks, No, I have not tried /run/* however i will try it and let you know. Any advice on excludes will help at this point.

I will update everyone soon

Best Regards,

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Nicolai,

I tested it  >>>  /run/*   (see below + additional excludes) in one of the Linux backups. Still getting the 71 error due to /1000/gvfs not existing.

/run/usr/1000/gvfs/*

/run/usr/1000/*

/run/*

/run/

/run/usr/1000/*

Any other suggestions are welcome

Best Regards

Will_Restore
Level 6

mount output shows

/run/user/1000/gvfs

and your exclusion says

/run/usr/1000/gvfs

Will_Restore
Level 6

Some further information about gvfs:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/77453/why-cannot-find-read-run-user-1000-gvfs-even-though-it-is-running-as-root

Seems others are having trouble with this too. 

Marc_LHeureux
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Based on this:

gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

I would exclude:

/run/user/1000/gvfs/

Note the trailing slash.

"/run/user/1000/gvfs"  itself refers to the inode object on the root/parent filesystem where gvfsd-fuse is mounted - so would exclude the mountpoint when processing root, but adds the contents back when when processing that mounted volume.  Adding the trailing slash tells the system to acknowledge that the object is a directory and to start considering its contents when processing /run/user/1000/gvfs

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/50499/when-should-i-use-a-trailing-slash-on-a-directory

Another solution, if you're using single stream backups, is to change the backup selection list from ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES to simply "/", and enable Cross Mount Points in the policy attributes.  This prevents NetBackup from having to care if an object is a mount point or not, then you could get away with either /run/user/1000/gvfs or any variants of /run/user/1000/gvfs/, ...gvfs/*, .../gvfs/<whatever>.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi All Thanks,

Will Restore and Marc L thank you!

Will R Thanks,  I didn't even notice this

mount output shows

/run/user/1000/gvfs

and your exclusion says

/run/usr/1000/gvfs

I guess I am so use to run/usr  being the norm. Anyway that my have been it I changed the excludes (all of them to  exclude (user) different variations and some of the offending backups completed without error.

I have added it to all of them so we will see what happens with the next backup. I will update soon and hopefully all the 71 errors wil be gone.

Thanks again and best regards

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi All,

I corrected my mistake and replaced /run/usr/1000/gvfs with >>>/run/user/1000/gvfs  in all the offending clients. It seem to work in a couple of those backups however not all. They are still getting the 71 error on the the /run/user/1000/gvfs directory (which is strange). I am going over it one last time.

fyi - I will be closing the ticket next tomorrow or next post

Any final help or suggestions are welcome.

Best Regards