cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude list my policy

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I know this is quite basic. but it is the first time I had to do it and it does not work.

I have had exclude lists for my windows servers, but they have always been ALL Policies.

but know I want to add an exclude for one server for one policy ( I will get these items in another policy).

but when I did this the items in the ALL Policy exclude list are INCLUDED in the one policy.

When you have an exclude list for a policy - does it ONLY read that one and ignore anything under the ALL list?
7 REPLIES 7

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5
I'm not terribly familiar with exclude lists, but if I'm not mistaken, you can set an exclude list for a client that involves any policy that the client is a part of.  You can also specify the policy that an exclude list pertains to.  Why not name the policy as part of the general exclude list for the one client that you need to set up differently, then you can set up a separate exclude list for that server based on a different policy if necessary.  Or simply change the exclude list for that client.  It won't affect the lists on any other clients, so it won't hurt for it to be different.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I belive that is what I did.

clientA
Has an exclude list for ALL POLICIES

Added exclude list
for NEW POLICYA

client is in PolicyA and PloicyB

when PolicyA runs I want everything in exclude list for ALL POLICIES and in POLICY A to not be backed up.

When Policy B runs I want everyting in exclude list for ALL Policies to be excluded (meaning I want it to backup stuff in that is in the PolicyA exclude list).

But...
When PolicyA runs,  it only excludes the items for that are in the exclude list for PolicyA  but trys to backup the items in the ALL Policies list.

I am running 5.1 MP6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
That is the behaviour.  If you use a policy or policy+schedule exclusion list, then the "<all-policies>" list is ignored.  The manuals aren't very clear on this.  Just one of those things we all get used to.

Stumpr2
Level 6
David is correct. Here is an explanation I wrote for a UNIX admin. The same concept of exclude lists applies to window servers except that the exclusions are registry entries and not individual files.

You can modify what is to be backed up by creating files in the /usr/openv/netbackup directory

/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list

Contains file list of everything to be excluded from ALL backups Be careful using this because the files/diretories will NEVER be backed up.

/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list.TEST_server1

Contains file list of everything to be excluded from the policy TEST_server1

/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list.TEST_server1.Full

Contains file list of everything to be excluded from:

Policy TEST_server1 using the "Full" schedule

/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list.TEST_server1.Daily

Contains file list of everything to be excluded from:

Policy TEST_server1 using the "Daily" schedule

The purpose of the include lists are to negate the corresponding exclude lists for specific directories or files

For instance:

If you have /data/directory1 in the exclude list and you want to include /data/directory1/file1

Then place /data/directory1/file1 into the include_list

/usr/openv/netbackup/include_list entries negate /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list entries

include_list.TEST_server1 entries negate exclude_list.TEST_server1

include_list.TEST_server1.Full entries negate exclude_list.TEST_server1.Full entries

include_list.TEST_server1.Daily entries negate exclude_list.TEST_server1.Daily entries

Message Edited by Bob Stump on 07-25-200710:35 AM

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5
So it sounds like what you need to do is include everything you want excluded in the exclude list for PolicyA.  Then when you run Policy A, you will get everything you want excluded for that policy excluded, and when you run any other policy, the All policies exclude list will take over.

Stumpr2
Level 6
exactly!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
thank you guys....

just seems like the ALL would apply to ALL!