cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing VCS Netbackup migration new new Hardware.

Priyeranjan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Friends, I need your feedback and suggestions on my below Netbackup design. I am new to Storage foundation
so kindly provide some technical help also... I will be very thankful to all of you....

Existing environment :

Site A {VCS two node shared storage cluster} with two media servers

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

New Setup 
===========
Site A - Single Node    
Site B - Single Node
Site C - Single Node

VCSCluster = {Site A, Site B, Site C} = NBUCLUSTER

Site A - will be Independent Node in cluster and catalog will be on local disk no shared storage
Site B - will be Independent Node in cluster and catalog will be on local disk no shared storage
Site C - will be Independent Node in cluster and catalog will be on local disk no shared storage

Now All local disk will be grouped and catalog will be replicated to each node by VVR(Veritas Volume Replicator)

So at a time One node will be active i.e. if Site "A" is active then Site "B" and "C" will be passive
and VVR will keep on updtaing the Catalog to each node according to defined replication interval.

Now Master is common and each site has one media server (Site A, Site B, Site C) and one tape library per site.

Now I need feedback for complication and design fault and the issues we may face after implementation.

Thank you...

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ranyan

Few questions to ask.

1. Which of these three sites have servers that are actively being backed up?
  2. What is the bandwidth between the sites, and what is the required bandwidth of the master during a daily/weekly backup run (catalog metadata)?
  3. Internal disk might not perform well due to the layout of the underlying physical disks. Do you have dedicated disks, or at least a direct attached storage to place the catalog and SRL on?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Firstly, please clarify Existing environment :
2-node clustered master server with 2 separate media servers?

And in the new environment, will there be separate media servers at Site A, B and C?
Master server nodes will not be media servers as well?

It sounds to me as if you will need a Global Cluster config for new environment with one-node cluster at each site. (Just not sure if 3-way Global Cluster is supported from SF/HA and NBU point of view. Documentation simply refers to Primary and Secondary site.)

Global cluster with catalog replication is covered in this section of NetBackup in Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide  : 
About globally clustered NetBackup master servers with catalog replication

As per Riaan's post, you will still need separate volumes (similar to current shared volumes) for NBU catalogs as well as a separate volume for SRL on each master server node.