Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exit status 72?

rjrumfelt
Level 6
The skinny:

Master server: Solaris 10, NBU v6.5.4
2 Medias, same as above

We're attempting to back up Exchange 2007 using CCR.  I've had my Exchange admin create the necessasry registry keys, and I've performed the steps in NetBackup that are listed in the following t/n:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329318.htm

All of the necessary Exchange accounts have been created to allow the NBU client sufficient access to perform the backups.

Below is a policy dump (Please note that the host contained within this policy is the virtual cluster name, however it is not the actual hostname):

Policy: Customer_Exchange_Windows_EXCH_MB_SG

Type:                                     MS-Exchange-Server
  Data Classification:                      --
  Storage:                                  Customer_MS1_Failover_Disk_Group
  Volume Pool:                              Customer
  Media Owner:                              Any
  Checkpoint Interval (minutes):           
  Jobs/Policy:                              --
  Priority:                                 0
  Active:                                   Yes
  Effective Date:                           03/30/2009 22:35:06
  Compression:                              No
  Encryption:                               No
  Block Level Incrementals:                 --
  Allow Multiple Data Streams:              Yes
  Follow NFS:                               --
  Cross Mount Points:                       --
  Individual File Restore From Raw:         --
  True Image Recovery:                      --
  True Image Recovery Move Detection:       --
  Collect Disaster Recovery Information:    --
  Collect Bare Metal Restore Information:   --
  Enable Document Restore:                  No
  Snapshot Backups:                         Yes
  Retain Snapshots:                         No
  Alternate Client:                         --
  Data Mover:                               --
  Virtual Machine Proxy:                    --
  Snapshot Method:                          VSS
  Keyword Phrase:                          

Schedules:

Schedule: 0300_Full

Type:                 Full Backup
  Synthetic Backup:     --
  Disk-Only Backup:     No
  Retention Period:     1 month
  Retention Level:      3
  Frequency:            5 days
  Media Multiplexing:   1
  Storage:             
  Volume Pool:         
  Media Owner:          *NULL*
  Start Windows:
        Friday    19:00:00  to  Saturday  7:00:00  (0 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes)

Schedule: 0300_Incremental

Type:                 Differential Incremental Backup
  Synthetic Backup:     --
  Disk-Only Backup:     No
  Retention Period:     2 weeks
  Retention Level:      1
  Frequency:            13 hours
  Media Multiplexing:   1
  Storage:             
  Volume Pool:         
  Media Owner:          *NULL*
  Start Windows:
        Sunday    19:00:00  to  Monday    7:00:00  (0 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes)
        Monday    19:00:00  to  Tuesday   7:00:00  (0 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes)
        Tuesday   19:00:00  to  Wednesday 7:00:00  (0 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes)
        Wednesday 19:00:00  to  Thursday  7:00:00  (0 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes)
        Thursday  19:00:00  to  Friday    7:00:00  (0 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes)
        Saturday  19:00:00  to  Sunday    7:00:00  (0 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes)

Backup Selections:

NEW_STREAM
  Microsoft Information Store:\SG1
  NEW_STREAM
  Microsoft Information Store:\SG2
  NEW_STREAM
  Microsoft Information Store:\SG3
  NEW_STREAM
  Microsoft Information Store:\SG4
  NEW_STREAM
  Microsoft Information Store:\SG5
  NEW_STREAM
  Microsoft Information Store:\SG6
  NEW_STREAM
  Microsoft Information Store:\SG7
  NEW_STREAM
  Microsoft Information Store:\SG8

Clients:

Client Name      Hardware   Operating System
--------------------------------------------
VCEXCHANGE01   PC-x64     Windows2008

I had a screenshot but I can't get it to paste, of the Exchange client properties of the virtual cluster server, so I'll just say that I have the "Backup the passive copy and if not available backup the active copy (recommended)" options chosen.  I've checked and it appears that the client name under host properites is pointing to the correct physical node.

Before I changed to take snapshot backups, I was backing up Exchange on the active node, like you do when backing up Exchange 2003, but when I switched everything over it started failing exit status 72.

Any ideas?  If you guys need more information let me know and I'll try to get it - I'm not even sure what log file I should check out.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

We saw this when the active node had a bad or missing entry for the passive node in the local hosts file.  Exchange backups get a little uglier when you have the option of backing up the passive node instead of the active node in a CCR cluster.  If I remember right, when you point to the passive node, it goes just by short name, not FQDN, so make sure the master and media servers can reach the passive node via short name - again, check your host files.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Peter_Wyder
Level 3

Hi rjrumfelt

Remove the first 'NEW_STREAM' directive in the backup selections list and try again.
I remember we had similar problems when we started backing up our Exchange 2007 CCR and this helped.

Cheers
Peter

rjrumfelt
Level 6
activity monitor - same job, I just didnt notice it earlier:

06/02/2010 08:43:20 - Error bpbrm (pid=9569) bpcd on exchange02 exited with status = 48
06/02/2010 08:43:20 - Error bpbrm (pid=9569) client exchange02 is the redirected target host and not at version 6.5.2

The strange thing is, nothing in this environment is at 6.5.2, so I'm not sure why its looking for something 6.5.2

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
We got this with normal backups for a Windows 2008 server running enterprise edition. 

We un-installed the client software, re-installed with 6.5.2a (the first client with Windows 2008 support) then upgraded to 6.5.4 and all was good.

I think you should give this a try....

Also verify that your DNS record for that server's `hostname` is the correct case as the servername.....not sure why, but it seems to matter on windows....damn you Microsoft...lol

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

We saw this when the active node had a bad or missing entry for the passive node in the local hosts file.  Exchange backups get a little uglier when you have the option of backing up the passive node instead of the active node in a CCR cluster.  If I remember right, when you point to the passive node, it goes just by short name, not FQDN, so make sure the master and media servers can reach the passive node via short name - again, check your host files.

rjrumfelt
Level 6

with all names/aliases

So far so good, got the first storage group backed up, we'll see how the others do - I'll come back and update.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Everything appears to be good.  Thanks for the assistance.

I'm looking through bpfis right now to figure out where this snapshot error (156) is coming from.