cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expire after copy dilemma

RickardS
Level 3

We are using Netbackup 7.6.0.1 with a virtual Master and two 5220 appliances and a MSL6480 library. Mostly VMware backups and accelerator.

We don't have enough disk space on the 5220's to cover more than maybe 3 months of backups. We are using SLP's to duplicate images between the two appliances and also to tape.

Daily backups
5220 #1 -> 5520 #2 (Retention 2 weeks)

Weekly
5220 #1 -> 5520 #2 (Retention 1 Month)

Monthly
5220 #1 -> 5520 #2 -> Tape (Retention 1 year) 

When we run our monthly backups I would like to send then to tape and expire them to save disk space. But everywhere I read i states that you should not use "Expire after copy" when you use accelerator.

First of all, is SLP the way to go here or should we use Vault instead? Know very little about vault thought.

Or can we use "Postpone creation of this copy until the source copy is about to expire"? So it don't removes the latest image.

/Netbackup newbe 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A grumpy man comment from me surprise

Grab the problem by it roots and get more disk space. Any work around will only work for a limited time.

Remember that deduplication storage has a sweet spot of 1-3 month of retention. If you go even lower you wont gain the benefit of deduplication because the  re-occurrence of data is too low.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i would suggest you to go with the fixed retenction in your case...to get the  accelerator work well...

you can use the "Postpone creation of this copy until the source copy is about to expire"

but it will not give you the the immediate space.. as it will not delete images immediatly..so it will not get the purpose done.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A grumpy man comment from me surprise

Grab the problem by it roots and get more disk space. Any work around will only work for a limited time.

Remember that deduplication storage has a sweet spot of 1-3 month of retention. If you go even lower you wont gain the benefit of deduplication because the  re-occurrence of data is too low.

RickardS
Level 3

I guess I'm not thinking all wrong then....

RickardS
Level 3

Well we just bought the stuff :)

We are aiming for 3 months but unfortunately that will not be enough. We need to store backups longer.

If it was my decision I would only store backups for a couple of weeks.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Moving the backup retained for 1 year to tape after 3 month on the disk makes perfectly sense. Use the "SLP postponed processing" in 7.6 for that.