cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired Images which i want to replicate to foreign Data Domain

cmje
Level 2

We backup our infrastrucure  to one data domain - we then Replicate to Remote DR site. i have expired some images and then ran bpimage -cleanup -allclients from an admin command prompt - those newly expired images should replicate to dr site? or do i have to restart a service ? i am assuming if i delete the images in netbackup - netbackup will let the data domain know there are images to expire.

We are running  NB 7.6.0.4 - Data Domain 5.5.2.2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Note Marianne's point.

If you have backup image clientA_999999991 which was 100GB and de-duped by 99%...

...and backup image clientB_999999992 which was also 100GB but deduped by 0%...

...then expiring the image for clientA will have no appreciable impact on dedupe storage... whereas expiring the image for clientB would return 100GB later after DD cleanup has occured.

Remember, expiring a backup image from de-dupe (for most de-dupe platforms (not all)) does not result in any immediate space gain.  Removal of old backup data is typically a multi-stage process.  The vendor documentation should describe when clean-up runs, and how to run a manual clean-up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How are you replicating image? Via SLP in NBU or using DD utilities? SLP will not allow you to expire image unless replication has completed. If DD replication, then the image is marked for deletion. It will not be replicated. I am curious about the reason for your query. Why would you expire an image and still expect it to be available for replication?

cmje
Level 2

Replicating via SLP in NBU

These are older images which should have replicated

I want to ensure these images are deleted because available disk space is at critical levels

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NBU will only allow you to expire an image when all SLP copies have completed. Expired images will only be cleaned up during next DD maintenance window. Please bear in mind that if any other (newer) backups are referencing expired data, the data will not be deleted.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Note Marianne's point.

If you have backup image clientA_999999991 which was 100GB and de-duped by 99%...

...and backup image clientB_999999992 which was also 100GB but deduped by 0%...

...then expiring the image for clientA will have no appreciable impact on dedupe storage... whereas expiring the image for clientB would return 100GB later after DD cleanup has occured.

Remember, expiring a backup image from de-dupe (for most de-dupe platforms (not all)) does not result in any immediate space gain.  Removal of old backup data is typically a multi-stage process.  The vendor documentation should describe when clean-up runs, and how to run a manual clean-up.