cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting the contents of the NBSU command ?

Jim-m
Level 5
On a windows master/media it is simple to extract the output of the NBU support command and is actuallly very useful for documenting a system.   

What about Unix can the output be simply extacted by unix utilites ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would recommend any Admin to run this at least once or when there is a config change, as it is also helpful on number of levels:

1) Troubleshooting
2) Learning commands and where they located
3) Documenting/Capturing a configuration

I have a folder with my master and media servers in subfolders with the nbsu output extracted.

If you transfer the compressed package from UNIX to Windows then use 7zip use its FREE archiver software better than winzip, smaller too) it will extract the package no troubles.

Handy!

For anyone reading this and wondering what it is...heres current doc info, and (free to use) download:

DOCUMENTATION AND DOWNLOAD: NetBackup Support Utility (NBSU) Usage and Examples for 6.x. NBSU was r...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
On Windows, use WinZip to extract.

On Unix: gzcat <output-file> | tar xvf -

Output contains details of configuration and is very useful for documenting a NetBackup installation.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would recommend any Admin to run this at least once or when there is a config change, as it is also helpful on number of levels:

1) Troubleshooting
2) Learning commands and where they located
3) Documenting/Capturing a configuration

I have a folder with my master and media servers in subfolders with the nbsu output extracted.

If you transfer the compressed package from UNIX to Windows then use 7zip use its FREE archiver software better than winzip, smaller too) it will extract the package no troubles.

Handy!

For anyone reading this and wondering what it is...heres current doc info, and (free to use) download:

DOCUMENTATION AND DOWNLOAD: NetBackup Support Utility (NBSU) Usage and Examples for 6.x. NBSU was r...

Jim-m
Level 5
Thanks

Agree with previous and used it for recording all the setup info for DR on windows setup.  Wasn’t sure about Unix though