Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQ - Defragging volume on which NBU catalog resides

phoenix24x1
Level 4
Certified

Heyas,

I am running my Master with NBU 7507 on a windows 2008 server. I need to defrag the volume on which my catalog resides. I dont need assistance with accessing or executing the Windows Defrag utility.

I am interested in hearing feedback from persons that have executed this before. Some specific things would be:

- did you stop the NBU application?

- windows utility or 3rd party?

- runtime?

- how much free space was on your volume before you defragged

- issues or unexpected results from the defrag

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

FYI - Many years ago we used Raxco PerfectDisk to defrag a Windows 2003 MSCS stretch (cross-site) clustered install of NetBackup v5.1MP6 - with the application up and running - never had an issue.  It was in place for several years.  Defrag doesn't relinquish free space.  The principle noticeable benefit was that it made the catalog backup speed consistent, and better than it had been for a very long time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

phoenix24x1
Level 4
Certified

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hi, phoenix24x1

No autal data for your reference. But I think that when you do this, you need to notice the following things.

1. before you do this, you could backup your catalog first, or make sure you have most recent catalog backup in case of disk crash during disk defragment

2. if possible, it's better to stop NBU. if can't stop NBU, defrag disk when the NBU business is not busy. As disk contention may have impact on NBU performance, worst case, it cause job fail.

In addition, the runtime for disk defragment depends on how about your disk defragmentation. Regarding defrgment tool, choose those tools which has less consume of system resource, i think the tool build-in windows should be fine.

If you have experienced this, please share it.

Thanks

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

FYI - Many years ago we used Raxco PerfectDisk to defrag a Windows 2003 MSCS stretch (cross-site) clustered install of NetBackup v5.1MP6 - with the application up and running - never had an issue.  It was in place for several years.  Defrag doesn't relinquish free space.  The principle noticeable benefit was that it made the catalog backup speed consistent, and better than it had been for a very long time.