cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FC tape direct attached to multiple servers?

anaanamuss
Level 2
I have a customer who has 3 servers with 2 FC HBAs each. He wants me to connect a Dell ML6020 with 6 LTO-4 FC tape drives so that each server is connected to two of the drives.

I've done library sharing many times, but always connected through a switch so that all servers see all tape drives and the library. Incidentally, the Dell (ADIC) unit uses one drive to talk to the library (or more if you partition the library into multiple virtual partitions).

I have never used Netback and don't need to know much about it - just if it will support this configuration and if so, the basics of how it can work like this.

Thanks!

Jason
5 REPLIES 5

dltsc
Level 4
Partner
The procedure will involve connecting everything to a fiber switch and configuring the appropriate zoning so that the servers see the correct number of drives.  Once that has been completed and the servers can see the drives at the O/S level you will need to make sure the customer has the Shared Storage Option license in order to share the drives.  After that it's just a matter of running the Storage Device Configuration Wizard in NetBackup.

Will_Restore
Level 6
for drive sharing but he says 'direct attached' which implies each media server sees only it's own drives (no SSO license needed). 

dltsc
Level 4
Partner
Correct, I saw that just forgot while I was typing the reply, so basically just connect everything up, one of the media servers will have robotic control, unless partitions are used.

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
first you need to divide the tape library into 3 logical libraries with 2 tape drives each, then zone them properly to each server, you doesn't require sso until the other server need to see more that 2 drives.

anaanamuss
Level 2
so it's ok that each server not see all the tape? if it can be done like this, why are so many people using switches to create backup SANs? I've seen many people do this just for the purpose of being able to see all the tapes.

Srikanth - there is no zoning without fibre channel switches. please clarify your answer.