cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREEZING media id , too many data blocks written, check tape/driver block size configuratio

hus83
Level 3

Hi All,

I just installed a new media-serv solaris t5 solaris 11.3 sparc, nbu version: 7.6.0.1

The master have version 7.6.1.2.

and when i launch a backup with this new media-server i get this error:

05/24/2018 11:29:00 - Error bptm (pid=48851) FREEZING media id SR0002, too many data blocks written, check tape/driver block size configuration
05/24/2018 11:30:57 - Info bptm (pid=48851) EXITING with status 84 <----------
05/24/2018 11:30:57 - Info dbclient (pid=48740) done. status: 84: media write error

thx for your help!

Regards;

HRH

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did it ever work If so, what changed

Are you using enctryption of any type (MSEO / KMS / 3rd party)

What is the SIZR_DATA_BUFFER setting (/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS)

What is the os of the media server

Typically, these issues are likely to have a cause outside of NBU, possible hardware fault, or driver/ firmware issue (or encryption isue).  NBU sends backup data in blocks (say 256k) to the OS, and the OS instructs the drive to write the data to tape using this block size.  What is happening, is that the backup fits in say 100 blocks (just keeping the numbers simple) but the tape drive write >100 blocks.

That is outside of our control.

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, the block size is fine, I'd suggest looking at drivers  and firmware in that case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did it ever work If so, what changed

Are you using enctryption of any type (MSEO / KMS / 3rd party)

What is the SIZR_DATA_BUFFER setting (/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS)

What is the os of the media server

Typically, these issues are likely to have a cause outside of NBU, possible hardware fault, or driver/ firmware issue (or encryption isue).  NBU sends backup data in blocks (say 256k) to the OS, and the OS instructs the drive to write the data to tape using this block size.  What is happening, is that the backup fits in say 100 blocks (just keeping the numbers simple) but the tape drive write >100 blocks.

That is outside of our control.

Hi and thx a lot for your reply,

It's a new installation for this media-server (never work before) but i have other's media-srvers and it's work fine.

solaris 11.3 sparc and the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS is 262144.

and i don't have enctryption.

Regards,

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, the block size is fine, I'd suggest looking at drivers  and firmware in that case.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with @mph999 
This error: check tape/driver block size configuration refers to the Solaris st driver.
The NBU buffer size is not the same thing. 

You may also want to read through the Solaris chapter of the Device Configuration Guide (there is a .txt version in /usr/openv/volmgr if I remember correctly). 

PS: 
Any reason why you installed such an old NBU version? (This is not the reason for the error, I'm just wondering)