cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FT Media Server configuration

nmaishari
Level 2

Hi Eveyone,

We are configuring FT media server with HP Gen 8 DL 360 & 2 x HPAJ764A & Suse Linux Sp 4 ( All are in supported list of Netbackup 8.1)

After running configuration and rebooting, we are getting error message 

Unable to communicate with HBA ports.
Please ensure that this system is set up correctly with nbftsrv_config.
(Must not be set up as FT Server.)
Error #11: system call failed

if anyone has configured FT media server on 8.1, is it possible for you to share the Hardware spec, so that we can arrange for same.

6 REPLIES 6

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

Considering that is new setup, I have few suggestions.

1) Do not use HP UX or IBM AIX as your media or master server. These platforms have reached End of life (EOL) in NetBackup 8.1.2 (expected GA end of August). NetBackup client is still supported for these platforms.

2) SAN (switch) zoning plays a very big role in FT media server / SAN client configuration. In a single zone you should have only one initiator (SAN client HBA port) and one target (FT media server HBA port).

3) System call failed error means that there were some issue at the OS/driver level. Once you have verified that SAN zoning is correct, there are no issues at OS or HBA driver level and you have setup FT media server and SAN client as per instructions in guide, please open a Veritas support case (as you will have to provide logs for investigation). 

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/25074091-127355800-0/index

1. We are using Suse Linux 11 SP4 as Operating System.

2. SAN zone is configured as suggested

3. HBA card is in supported list

Still same error

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

you will need to be very very very detailed in your description and checking of your envionment... all that you said so far is purely symptomatic and in search of a quick solution...

...there is never a quick solution for these types of questions...

...instead...

...you need to double check your glass (I mean your fibre :p)... check your FC SAN config, then double check your SAN error rates... light levels (less than -12dB is bad - i.e. -13dB and below is bad).

Thanks sdo for your reply.

I know that I sound bit despereate and looking for quick solution. But has been helpless, as this is POC deployment & has been running for last 7-8 months.

Even a support ticket was raised to veritas & reply we received was card is not supported. But HBA card we are using is part of HCL guide for FT media server & supported on OS Suse Linux 11 SP 4 as recommened by Veritas for Netbackup 8.1. Because of contradictions, on HCL and Veritas support, client is looking for successful deployment. 

Thus we are looking for successful existing deployment of FT media server on Netbackup 8.1. If someone can share Hardware, OS & HBA card details, we can recommend client to arrange for same. 

I will look into your suggestions and will have a look on fibre.

Thanks & Regards,

Nayan Maishari

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I do not have 1st-hand experience with FT media server, just had a quick look at the HCL.
HBA AJ764A is listed with a note: [1]
that refers to a TN:
Please see Technical Solution Article http://www.veritas.com/docs/000013083.

Have you tried that?

Thanks for your reply Marianne.

Yes, we have tried that as well. Didn’t worked.

Regards,
Nayan