cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI - NetBackup v8.0 no longer supports underscore in host names.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

...see:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000125019

...which ays:

Starting in NetBackup 8.0, NetBackup is no longer able to function properly if the hostname contains an underscore character.

There is no plan to address this limitation.

Please ensure all NetBackup hostnames are RFC (1123) compliant.

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks for this @sdo

Weird thing is that none of this is mentioned in any of the pdf's. 
I have searched Release Notes, Installation Guide and Upgrade Guide.

Only this in Release Notes:

Hyper-V Accelerator backups with MSDP are not supported
when the storage server name contains an underscore

Nothing either in Late Breaking News... Smiley Surprised

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yep - I was compelled to post this topic, because I'd already read the v8.0 Release Notes too, and the v8.0 EEB guide, and like you say... nothing in those docs about this major point.

I've just searched the v8.0 EEB guide again, and all it has for "underscore" is this on page 13:

3881336 A backup to an S3-compliant cloud fails if the server on the cloud side does not support the underscore character ("_") in REST headers.

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

I'm trying to find out why we don't have this in any of the docs and see if we can fix getting these "smaller" issues included in the release notes.  I think this was simply missed or may have been seen as an almost non-existant issue for most customers so not important enough to call out, which I disagree with personally, but I don't make those calls.

Thanks for pointing it out!!!!!

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Looking at the date of the TN and the screenshots, my guess that the TN is the result of a Support case - where this was only discovered AFTER successful upgrade?

And we all know how NBU feels about hostname change...

It would be nice if there was some sort of warning before this person upgraded! 
(O_O) 

There will be a new release of the Release Notes out shortly that addresses this omission and a couple of other issues that were found post-publication.  I don't have a date yet but was told it should be published at some point next week.

Thanks for catching that this was missing and posting to the Community.  That is what makes this work!!!

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances