cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed 7.5-7.6 Upgrade - All Jobs fail with File Write Fail (14)

stanz358
Level 2

Hello All:

Very new to NetBackup and learning the hardway it seems. Was running NetBackup 7.5 and went to upgrade to 7.6.1. ran the prerequisite checker and all green. Ran the upgrade and it failed toward the very end, some generic error. The upgrade process encountered a fatal error. Said it rolled back but that script needs some work. As a result, my 7.5 installation would not even start. Poked around a bit in the forums and the logs and found an entry after I tried to start the emm. Stated program needs to be upgraded. Ran the install again and it made it all the way through.

Now everything starts fine except the backups.Every single job fails, catalogs, windows server - all with file write failed (14). Job details below:

6/17/2014 7:57:02 PM - Info nbjm(pid=928) starting backup job (jobid=9677) for client psc-bu-01.budcotdc.net, policy PSC-Backup-Catalog, schedule Full  
6/17/2014 7:57:02 PM - Info nbjm(pid=928) requesting CATALOG_BACKUP_RESOURCE resources from RB for backup job (jobid=9677, request id:{2282731C-1B72-4F37-82C9-62F6752FBC7E})  
6/17/2014 7:57:02 PM - requesting resource psc-bu-01.budcotdc.net.NBU_CATALOG.MAXJOBS
6/17/2014 7:57:02 PM - granted resource psc-bu-01.budcotdc.net.NBU_CATALOG.MAXJOBS
file write failed(14)

I opened a support ticket, spent 4 hours and as a result, they said the best course of action wouold be to uninstall 7.6, reinstall 7.5, bring it back to the last patch level and restore catalogs. that's really not an acceptable solution. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I really do not want to go the course they suggested.

thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

what are the permission on the netbackup install folder?

does it have full provilages to system and admin account?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We will need to see the installation log for the failed and (seemingly) successful upgrade.

The initial failure may have broken something.

I would personally prefer to go back to previous working version of NBU 7.5 rather than trying to put a band-aid on a broken installation.

Please also tell us more about your server - which OS and patch level?
Resources on the master? 
Space
Cpu
Memory
Backup devices
etc...

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

I would personally prefer to go back to previous working version of NBU 7.5 rather than trying to put a band-aid on a broken installation.

yes