cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to initialize EMM connection.

Saqib_Alam
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have done fresh installation of Netbackup 7.5 Master & Media server both are successfully isntalled but i cannot see media server on my master server host list.

when it try to register Media server using nbemmcmd command i get the following error on media server.

Failed to initialize EMM connection.  Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)
Command did not complete successfully.

Envrionment:
NBU Version : 7.5

Any solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Command to add media server must ONLY be run on the master server where EMM database exists.

Please run this command on master and post output:

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

PS: Why are you trying to run command on the media server?
If you added Master server hostname as Master and EMM server during media server installation, it will already have all the correct SERVER entries in the registry.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi

Kindly ensure the hostname resolution is working fine.Kindly make a entry of media server name in master server bp.conf file. Please make note of below tech node.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56484

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66433

Marianne

Windows does not have bp.conf. It has registry entries as per TECH37259.

Check Server entries in Master Host Properties.

Verify Windows firewall is disabled and port 1556 is open in both directions.

Where are you running nbemmcmd command?  it should be run on the master server. It is not possible to see error on media server when running command on master....

Please also ensure that UAC is disabled, else start GUI and/or  cmd with right-click, Run As Administrator.

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

Regret the inconvienience. I havent consider the OS type. As Marianne said, windows has no bp.conf file.

Hi Marianne

Thanks for correcting me.

Saqib_Alam
Level 5
Partner Accredited

When i run nbemmcmd command on Master Server it runs successfully but when i try to run same command on Media server it failed to iniliaze connection.

All ports are already open from firewall in both direction and i can telenet from Master to Media and Media to Master.

Marianne

Command to add media server must ONLY be run on the master server where EMM database exists.

Please run this command on master and post output:

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

PS: Why are you trying to run command on the media server?
If you added Master server hostname as Master and EMM server during media server installation, it will already have all the correct SERVER entries in the registry.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Marianne says nbemm commands are only run on the Master Server by default.

As a quick check go to the Admin Console on the Master Server, go to the Master Servers Host Properties and ensure that the Media Server is in its Server list under the Media Server and Additional Servers section.

If not add it in and the do a bpdown and bpup on the Master

Next do a bpdown and bpup on the Media Server and give it a couple of minutes and it should all come to life (View - Refresh All is always handy)

Other than that it can be firewalls or even not firing up the Admin Console using "Run As Administrator" if you are using Windows 2008 - likewise if you have UAC turned on any command lines you run won't actually do anything unless you are running the command line as Administrator as all changes need to be able to edit the registry

In general for Windows 2008 --- turn off firewal and turn off UAC if permitted by your organisation.

Hope this helps

Saqib_Alam
Level 5
Partner Accredited

@ Marianne Van Deg Berg

Thanks for your help, after running nbemmcmd command on master server now its working fine. Master server and media server both are communicating.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Please mark Mariannes answer as the solution if it has solved your issue - Thanks